Farmers Business Network® (FBN®) is on a mission to power the prosperity of family farmers and rural communities around the world, transforming how the world farms with an integrated, technology-enabled agricultural platform.
We offer high ROI farm inputs, fintech and sustainability products and services powered by network data, and farm-tested insights from our global farmer community. Our platform helps FBN® members make confident decisions to ensure the economic viability of their farms, while also empowering them to be a part of the solution as the global community confronts its most pressing issues: providing food security for a growing population, transitioning to more sustainable agriculture, and responding to climate change.
We are a dynamic, innovative, and mission-driven AgTech company that offers competitive compensation and benefits as well as boundless career mobility. We are backed by top investors, including Fidelity, ADM, Google Ventures, Kleiner Perkins, DBL Partners, T Rowe Price and Temasek. We have been featured in these articles by the Wall Street Journal and Forbes, and were also named "One of the 50 Most Innovative Companies in the World" by Fast Company Magazine.
Reporting to the Product Development Agronomist the Breeding Assistant will assist with conducting and executing field research, primarily small plot trials. This position will be based out of FBN’s research facility with frequent travel to research site locations. This is a multifaceted role which requires a combination of reporting, organization and labour ensuring that field trials are completed to a high standard and provide a high standard of data.
- This role will assist the field team wherever necessary to complete operations. Tasks include prolonged sitting and repetitive work, facing outdoor elements, and walking for prolonged periods.
- Driving often required to various field sites to complete operational tasks
- Assist in all aspects of trial preparation and execution, including arranging trials, stickering, seed counting, sample preparation, and organization
- Assist field operations in seeding, harvesting and using small plot equipment
- Accurately inspect, measure and record attributes both in qualitative and quantitative measures
- Perform field maintenance tasks, such as hand-weeding or hoeing
- Comply with stewardship protocols and assist with site maintenance including rouging, required reporting and all necessary documentation
- Where appropriate operate various hand tools for harvesting (shears, scythe, machete, etc.) to collect, harvest and maintain agricultural samples
- Operate lab equipment in warehouse ex: scale, seed counter, NIR machine etc.
- Operate Field equipment’s ex: Tractor, seeder, sprayer, plot combine etc.
- Use of computer to perform data entry, reporting and communications
- Other duties as required/assigned
- 1 year completion of Diploma or Bachelor of Science (BS) in Agronomy, Plant Science or Botany
- Valid Class 5 driver’s license and own means of transport to site facility
- Previous experience working with small plot field trials an asset, but not necessary
- Farm background an asset
The successful applicant will be:
- Passionate about agriculture, farming and desire to put Farmers First®
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced start-up environment
- Highly independent, goal-oriented and solution driven
- Good organizational skills and attention to detail
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong computer skills with general utility software (spreadsheets, word processing)
- Ability to work additional hours during seeding and harvesting
- Ability to travel ~50% of the time