Proudly Farmers First℠!
What do you get when you cross the best of Silicon Valley innovation and technology with the value driven mission of Family Farmers around the world?
Farmers Business Network, Inc. (FBN℠)!
FBN℠ was created by farmers for farmers and is on a mission to power the prosperity of Family Farmers around the world by leveling the playing field through insights, commerce and community. Our goal is to enable them to make smart business decisions that maximize their farms profit potential for generations to come, helping to ensure the fundamental economic viability and sustainability of family farms and rural communities.
We are a dynamic, and innovative AgTech company that offers competitive compensation and benefits and is backed by top investors including Google Ventures, Kleiner Perkins, DBL Partners, T Rowe Price and Temasek.
.Overview of the Position:
The Vice President of Product Development will be responsible for the global crop protection product development strategy at FBN, including design, development, scale-up, launch and post-launch support of crop protection formulated products. This role will work as part of a cross functional team to provide formulation subject matter expertise for product development, technology transfer, product registration, field trial planning and customer training. The successful candidate will reflect a deep commitment to generic crop protection markets and at the same time a desire to leverage product portfolios to develop and bring to market product innovations improving grower convenience and returns on investment.
- Design and move forward development and registration activities with regulatory agencies, globally
- Evaluate new products and new product concepts for fit in US, Canada, and AU crops and production models, producing analysis which can be used in marketing and communications materials
- Develop and manage national field trials plans and budgets to yield data for registration, regulatory and marketing needs
- Lead the Development team to ensure the group always uses good field practices and testing protocols
- Assure all testing and development is conducted considering all laws and regulatory agencies' rules
- Manage all budgetary process forecasting, budget to actual and reporting for development activities, including registrations, field trial
- Coordinate schedules with Product Regulatory to minimize registration time, expense and risk
- Stay current on new findings and technologies in formulation technology
- Collaborate with other functions to develop products with the desired attributes that can be successfully registered in the target geographies.
- Partner with Purchasing, Production, and Category management to plan and support process demonstration trials and start-ups of new formulations.
- Develop and validate test protocols for the evaluation of new formulations in application equipment.
- Make recommendations and decisions based on customer needs, discovered through partnership with sales and marketing teams.
- Develop an understanding of key competitive technologies. Use knowledge of the strengths and weaknesses of competitive products to identify opportunities for differentiated product positioning.
- Manage relationships with research, formulation and testing companies
- Participate in regulatory (EPA, PMRA, APVMA) and trade (ARA) relationship management.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
- Secondary degree in Entomology, Plant Pathology, Weed Science, Agronomy, Chemistry, or other crop production discipline
- 10+ years experience in agronomic development or other practical agricultural science
- Strong experience with crop protection products; experience with biological products is especially preferred
- Deep understanding of practical agronomy in US and Canada crops, including statistical analysis and field trial design
- Deep knowledge of formulation design & development and product registration process
- Comprehensive understanding of FIFRA and PMRA regulations
- Familiarity with data compensation strategies
- Demonstrated full competence in the area of formulation technology
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- Successful history creating and implementation of strategic plans, annual and long-term budgets
- A proven track record of working in a team atmosphere and developing new products
- Strong communication and team management skills
- Analytical skills with a problem-solving attitude
- Prior experience in research or engineering is desirable.
- Ability to successfully partner with team members and stakeholders (sales, marketing, R&D, regulatory, legal, purchasing/production)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Ability to persuade/influence others
- Ability to authentically communicate the value of technology when talking with customers and colleagues