What do you get when you cross the best of Silicon Valley innovation with the agriculture economy? Farmer’s Business Network, Inc.!
We are proudly Farmers First℠. Created by farmers, for farmers, Farmers Business Network℠ (FBN℠) is an independent and unbiased farmer-to-farmer network of thousands of American farms. By enabling thousands of farmers to work together, anonymously and securely to democratize information, the FBN Network is helping farmers level the playing field and put power back in farmers’ hands.
Farmers Business Network counts top VCs including Google Ventures, Kleiner Perkins, DBL Partners, and Acre Venture Partners, T Rowe Price and Temasek among its investors. We are a dynamic, and innovative company in AgTech that offers competitive compensation and benefits.
This role will develop and execute crop breeding projects, addressing product concepts which are considered highly challenging for traditional breeding processes, using the latest generation of quantitative genetics / genomics and experimental methods. The application of these approaches to applied breeding objectives will serve as a means to pilot novel breeding methods, for the purpose of advancing the success rate of the overall breeding network. Success is reflected by 1) development of successful products to enable FBN as an industry leading supplier of high ROI seed products for farmers, and 2) the evolution of the novel and experimental methods into the mainstream breeding programs.
- Work with the product portfolio team and breeders to align on breeding objectives which are best suited to experimental methods
- Manage the execution of the selected breeding projects: select parents; design breeding, trialing and selection strategies; lead advancement decision making
- Maintain current knowledge in developing methodologies for quantitative genetics and genomics in plant and animal breeding
- Maintain effective working relationships with other plant breeders in the FBN breeding network
- Pilot novel breeding methods to support parent and progeny selection in breeding programs
- Collaborate with the breeders and the Quantitative Genetics and Genomics team to evaluate the impact of the experimental breeding methods, and support the adoption by the broader breeder network, of the methods proven effective in the pilot projects
- Collaborate with the FBN software development specialists for the development and deployment of software enabling routine application of selected methodologies
- PhD in Quantitative Genetics, Genomics, Plant Breeding or related discipline
- At least five years experience with plant breeding and testing methods
- State-of-the-art knowledge in genomics methods in breeding, in plants and animals
- Ability to facilitate collaboration with internal and external partners
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage results delivery of multiple projects on short timelines
- Able and willing to travel domestically and internationally