What do you get when you cross the best of Silicon Valley innovation with the agriculture economy? Farmer’s Business Network, Inc.!
We are proudly Farmers First℠. Created by farmers, for farmers, Farmers Business Network℠ (FBN℠) is an independent and unbiased farmer-to-farmer network of thousands of American farms. By enabling thousands of farmers to work together, anonymously and securely to democratize information, the FBN Network is helping farmers level the playing field and put power back in farmers’ hands.
Farmers Business Network counts top VCs including Google Ventures, Kleiner Perkins, DBL Partners, and Acre Venture Partners, T Rowe Price and Temasek among its investors. We are a dynamic, and innovative company in AgTech that offers competitive compensation and benefits.
This role will recruit, develop and lead a team of Quantitative Genetics and Genomics specialists, who will work directly with our crop breeding network, to advance the performance and success of the breeding programs through the development and application of the latest methods in quantitative and genomic breeding analytics. This role will also collaborate with our team of data scientists and engineers in the development of applications which systematize these advanced breeding analytics methods. Success for the Quantitative Genetics and Genomics team is reflected by aggressive adoption of quantitative methods by the breeders, leading to faster seed product development, with improved success rate, and higher rate of genetic gain, to enable FBN as an industry leading supplier of high ROI seed products for farmers.
- With the Head of Seeds R&D, develop and update as needed an organizational plan for Quantitative Breeding and Genomics, in concert with the ongoing development of the plant breeding network
- Recruit, orient, and mentor the staff of Quantitative Breeding and Genomics
- Develop ongoing objectives and evaluate performance for the Quantitative Breeding and Genomics team members, to ensure high performance
- Establish budgets and manage operations accordingly, as part of the Seeds R&D budgeting process
- Be an actively contributing member of the Seeds R&D leadership team
- Maintain current knowledge in developing methodologies for quantitative genetics and genomics in plant and animal breeding
- Maintain effective working relationships with applied plant breeders in the FBN breeding network
- Develop and pilot breeding analytics methods to support parent and progeny selection in breeding programs
- Collaborate with the breeders and the Quantitative Genetics and Genomics team to evaluate the impact of the quantitative / genomic breeding methods
- Collaborate with the FBN data scientists and engineers for the development and deployment of software enabling routine application of selected methodologies
- At least five years R&D leadership experience
- PhD in Quantitative Genetics, Genomics, Plant Breeding or related discipline
- Strong understanding of plant breeding and testing methods
- State-of-the-art knowledge in genomics methods in breeding, in plants and animals
- Ability to facilitate collaboration with internal and external partners
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage results delivery of multiple projects on short timelines
- Able and willing to travel domestically and internationally