What do you get when you cross the best of Silicon Valley innovation with the agriculture economy? Farmer’s Business Network, Inc.!
We are proudly Farmers First℠. Created by farmers, for farmers, Farmers Business Network℠ (FBN℠) is an independent and unbiased farmer-to-farmer network of thousands of American farms. By enabling thousands of farmers to work together, anonymously and securely to democratize information, the FBN network is helping farmers level the playing field and put power back in farmers’ hands.
Farmers Business Network counts top VCs including Google Ventures, Kleiner Perkins, DBL Partners, and Acre Venture Partners, T Rowe Price and Temasek among its investors. We are a dynamic, and innovative company in AgTech that offers competitive compensation and benefits.
This role will lead the effort to secure regulatory approval for the first ever generic insect traits and will develop and support stewardship practices for both generic herbicide and insect traits. This role will also collaborate with third party trait developers on both generic and novel traits to support those technologies within the FBN R&D platform. This leader is expected to become the FBN expert in regulatory and stewardship matters and to exercise good judgment on the use of regulatory and stewardship advisors and legal counsel. Success is reflected by establishing and maintaining regulatory approvals in the US and other countries for the portfolio to support FBN as the industry leading supplier of generic high ROI products for farmers.
- Develop regulatory and stewardship strategies in collaboration with various business teams
- Develop an in-depth knowledge of seed biotechnology regulation requirements and industry agreements (such as GEMAA) for all of the geographic regions FBN products will have a presence (including export countries)
- Develop an in-depth knowledge of FBN’s seed products and their deregulation/regulatory approval status within various geographies including countries of cultivation and the countries for which the grain and plant products are exported to
- Develop a regulatory submissions strategy for applicable FBN seed products through collaboration with key FBN stakeholders such as, commercial, supply chain, legal, R&D etc.
- Prepare and be accountable for regulatory dossiers for submission and represent FBN in working with regulatory authorities to support product deregulation/regulatory approval
- Regularly communicate regulatory submission status and timelines to key FBN stakeholders
- Monitor industry regulatory and stewardship developments, and work with key FBN stakeholders to assess business implications and refine regulatory strategies as applicable
- In conjunction with applicable SMEs, develop and implement an integrated pest management strategy for applicable FBN products (components of this will include resistance management programs and plans)
- Develop a stewardship strategy to establish, evaluate and maintain stewardship programs for FBN biotechnology-derived plant products
- Create and implement stewardship programs in collaboration with applicable SMEs such as quality, supply chain, commercial, legal etc.
- Guide and mentor applicable FBN staff regarding FBN’s stewardship and regulatory programs
- Provide stewardship and regulatory input into applicable FBN external communication such as product labels, technical bulletins etc.
- Identify, champion involvement and represent FBN in various seeds regulatory or stewardship industry associations as required
- Create and maintain positive relationships with key government representatives
- Provide outreach promoting FBNs stewardship initiatives
- Experience with regulatory approvals and/or stewardship processes
- Strong understanding of basic biotechnology and testing and detection methods
- Working knowledge of industry stewardship processes
- Ability to facilitate collaboration between third parties and FBN, such as trait introgression contractors aligning to FBN stewardship practice
- Minimum five years in an area of agribusiness directly related to this role
- Demonstrated ability in process and project management
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage and motivate staff and teams
- Able and willing to travel internationally and domestically