What do you get when you cross the best of Silicon Valley innovation with the agriculture economy? Farmer’s Business Network, Inc.!
We are proudly Farmers First℠. Created by farmers, for farmers, Farmers Business Network℠ (FBN℠) is an independent and unbiased farmer-to-farmer network of thousands of American farms. By enabling thousands of farmers to work together, anonymously and securely to democratize information, the FBN network is helping farmers level the playing field and put power back in farmers’ hands.
Farmers Business Network counts top VCs including Google Ventures, Kleiner Perkins, DBL Partners, and Acre Venture Partners, T Rowe Price and Temasek among its investors. We are a dynamic, and innovative company in AgTech that offers competitive compensation and benefits.
This role will lead the effort to develop a portfolio of industry leading yellow pea genetics that will be specifically tailored to the fast-growing plant-based protein market. The yellow pea breeder is expected to identify and/or develop the genetics and traits not otherwise easily available to farmers. This role will develop a proprietary breeding program based on traditional breeding techniques and also cutting-edge genomics to accelerate agronomic and protein quality improvement. Success is reflected by establishing the portfolio to support FBN as the industry leading supplier of yellow peas to the processors of plant-based proteins.
- Coordinate and develop a yellow pea genetic research and development program, including identifying and sourcing new sources of genetics, crossing and breeding new lines, facilitating collaboration and managing the variety and hybrid development programs from origination to commercialization
- Manage 3rd party support for genomics and quantitative genetics to accelerate yellow pea development
- Establish intellectual property strategy specific to yellow pea germplasm
- Establish and manage budgets, specific to yellow pea varietal development; from an initial cross to commercial launch.
- Experience with managing dicot seeds development and research is required, including breeding and testing process and requirements
- Strong understanding of genotyping and marker assisted selection methods.
- Working knowledge of genotyping/quantitative genetics
- Ability to facilitate collaboration between public yellow pea breeding organizations and third-party service providers
- Understanding of testing environments and impact on product evaluation and line selection
- General understanding of field, road and lab equipment utilization
- MS or PhD in discipline specific to seeds breeding or development and minimum ten years in field research or field research management preferred
- Demonstrated ability in field research process management
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage and motivate staff and teams
- Able and willing to travel up to 60%
- Demonstrated ability to be further developed with FBN, to include relocation
- A minimum of 15 years of experience in a role of breeder, research or development manager