Farmer’s Business Network, Inc.
Location: US Corn & Soybean Growing Regions; Northern cornbelt preferred but flexible for the right candidate
Are you looking for an innovative agriculture company with tremendous career growth potential? Join Farmer’s Business Network, Inc. as a Senior Staff Agronomist!
What do you get when you cross the best of Silicon Valley innovation with the agriculture economy? Farmer’s Business Network, Inc.!
We are proudly Farmers First℠. Created by farmers, for farmers, Farmers Business Network℠ (FBN℠) is an independent and unbiased farmer-to-farmer network of thousands of American farms. By enabling thousands of farmers to work together, anonymously and securely to democratize information, the FBN network is helping farmers level the playing field and put power back in farmers’ hands.
Farmers Business Network counts top VCs including Google Ventures, Kleiner Perkins, DBL Partners, and Acre Venture Partners, T Rowe Price and Temasek among its investors. We are a dynamic, and innovative company in AgTech that offers competitive compensation and benefits.
We are looking for talented, multi-skilled individuals who can fit into our fast-paced company culture. We are a passionate, collaborative team of farmer-focused individuals who wake up every day emulating the farmer ethos of honesty, integrity, commitment and hard work.
Our Senior Staff Agronomist will work remotely but travel as required to support of our commercial organization . Furthermore, this individual will work with farmers in the network to help them make decisions for crop protection products.
The Senior Staff Agronomist will primarily be responsible for providing a seamless and highly differentiated chemical/pesticide input consultation while maintaining high grower satisfaction with Farmers Business Network, Inc. from post-harvest conversations all the way to just-in-time in-season decisions. This includes, but is not limited to, the following activities:
- Understand our grower’s crop input needs throughout the season and develop crop planning content to assist sales teams in overcoming sales obstacles
- Develop scalable agronomic support programs leveraging innovative approaches to modern farming
- Develop, maintain, and administer training curriculum and training delivery platforms to improve the technical knowledge of our internal and external customer-facing teams.
- Identify ROI improvement opportunities for growers by creating ROI analyses and using our unique analytical tools
- Support our external sales team’s efforts to enhance our new Crop Planning tools
- Support our marketing team with technical content development
- Support our product line teams with input on programs, product efficacy, product positioning, and other critical decisions
- Occasionally provide phone-based agronomic support for farmers in a timely manner
- Occasionally provide FBN live event support through content development and presentation to farmer groups and industry
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL HAVE
- Very strong communication and interpersonal skills with a heightened sensitivity to the issues that farmers face for ag chemicals
- A strong agronomic understanding of major US row crops
- Substantial knowledge and experience with crop protection products required, with experience in generic products preferred
- Must be an excellent communicator, trainer and teacher with documented public speaking and technical writing skills.
- Knowledge of the trends, practices, and characteristics of farmers, specifically in North American crops
- Strong experience and background in farming, production agriculture, retail, or input sales
- Candidate must be comfortable with internet technology and ideally the latest precision ag systems
- Background in Agronomy including, but not limited to, the management and use of agronomic data
- Informed on hot topics (i.e. weed resistance, herbicide drift, changing food processor demands, etc…)
- Strong planning, prioritization and organizational skills in addition to being highly motivated with a strong work ethic and positive attitude
- Ability to work effectively within a fast-paced, agile, and accountable team structure without a lot of supervision
- Willing to travel 1-2 nights per week on average. Can vary from zero to four nights per week based on seasonality and farming demands.
- A farmer focus and a commitment to farmer satisfaction.
- Experience settling farmer complaints for chemical inputs
PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelors Degree (Required) or Masters Degree (preferred) in an Agronomic or Soil Science discipline.
- 7+ years’ experience with agronomy technical service, chemical crop input guidance or teaching/training
- Cross-functional experience working across various business functions such as operations and sales
- Experience balancing execution, agility, and culture in a fast-paced growing business.