FanDuel Group is an innovative sports-tech entertainment company that is changing the way consumers engage with their favorite sports, teams, and leagues. The premier gaming destination in the United States, FanDuel Group consists of a portfolio of leading brands across gaming, sports betting, daily fantasy sports, advance-deposit wagering, and TV/media, including FanDuel, Betfair US, and TVG. FanDuel Group has a presence across 45 states and 8 million customers. The company is based in New York with offices in California, New Jersey, Florida, Oregon, and Scotland.
FanDuel Group is looking to add to its legal team a Director, Legal, Compliance & Risk with 4-8 years of experience to handle a variety of legal and regulatory compliance responsibilities, as well as serving as the lead internal advisor to our parent company’s risk organization and serving as the primary point of contact from legal for internal and external audits.
The Director will need to operate effectively with all levels of management including the Board and will have the skills to adapt their messaging as appropriate to their audience.
What you'll do
This position will manage a fantastic team of compliance professionals drafting policies, procedures for state and federal regulations and owning key compliance processes including Anti-Money Laundering and Anti-Bribery & Corruption. This role also will have primary responsibility for managing FanDuel’s risk function, working closely with the management team, Board of Directors and parent company’s risk organization. The position will design the FanDuel corporate risk strategy, develop a risk framework/appetite and own primary responsibly for conducting ongoing risk analysis and response. The position also will be responsible for being the primary liaison from the legal team to support FanDuel’s internal and external audits including anti-money laundering/sanctions audits by the Internal Revenue Service as well as regular and ad hoc legal and compliance reporting to the parent company and otherwise. Additionally, this position will support the FanDuel VP, Legal Regulatory and Compliance in the strategy and build out of FanDuel’s Compliance function as it grows to maturity.
The ideal candidates for this job began their careers as an associate at a nationally recognized law firm, has worked in at least one in house counsel position, has managed a team and has a passion for processes as well as sports. Experience working for an internet, technology and/or media company, or with such companies, is a plus. That said, superior analytical, strategic, communication, interpersonal and writing skills are of paramount importance, as is a strong work ethic, commitment to being a team player, and an aptitude to learn quickly the nuances of the internet, technology and media businesses.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Manage the retail and on-line compliance teams as they design and build out a best-in-class scalable compliance framework
- Own the Anti-Money Laundering and Anti-Bribery and Corruption programs for FanDuel across all products and all jurisdictions
- Design an effective risk management framework and assist in operationalizing it
- Work with all levels of management to support effective risk-based decision making
- Advise on appropriate process improvements to support and effective and efficient compliance department
- Assist in the preparation of Board and senior management communications relating to risk, compliance and legal generally
- Work closely with the VP Regulatory Compliance to enhance and scale compliance and risk management across FanDuel and in partnership with the parent company
- Design and execute an effective monitoring, testing and reporting plan for all compliance activities
- Build strong professional relationships with the leadership in the business
- Liaise with external advisors as required
- Provide value-adding advice and expertise on compliance and risk management to all departments and stakeholders
Who we're looking for
- JD from a top tier law school and member of at least one state bar
- 4 to 8 years of total legal experience
- In-house experience with an internet/technology company a strong plus
- At least 2.5 years at a nationally-recognized law firm
- A strong aptitude for on policy, process, procedure, analytics and reporting
- Passion to work hard in a fast-paced, start-up environment
- An exceptional team builder and team player
What you get in return
Beyond working with such a great team?
- An exciting environment with real growth
- Contribute to exciting products used by a highly passionate user base
- Personal learning and development opportunities
- Flexible vacation allowance
- 401K plan with company match
- Attractive health care plans
There's more, but we don't want to go on and on.
FanDuel is an equal opportunities employer. Diversity and inclusion in FanDuel means that we respect and value everyone as individuals. We don't tolerate bias, judgment or harassment. Our focus is on developing employees so that they reach their full potential.