At Families for Excellent Schools, our employees are passionate about their belief that all children should have access to great schools and education. We have diverse professional and personal backgrounds, and we don’t simply accept them - we celebrate them, we support them, and we thrive on them for the benefit of our employees, organization and the communities with which we work. We are an active and energetic group, who like to roll up our sleeves and get things done, which reinforces our culture and organization's core values of Collaboration, Results, Grit, and Respect.
Families for Excellent Schools (FES) seeks an energetic and thoughtful leader to oversee the development function as its Managing Director of Development. Reporting to the Chief of Staff to the CEO (COS) and working closely with the CEO & other senior leaders, you will be charged with establishing a compelling strategy for fundraising at FES and for leading both national and regional fundraising efforts to ambitious development goals. You will build and strengthen partnerships with FES’s current donors, own FES’s annual revenue goal, and partner with senior leaders on new site initiatives.
Responsibilities of the Managing Director of Development will include but are not limited to:
Fundraising and External Relations
- Alongside CEO, serve as FES’s lead fundraiser; generate significant multi year, renewable and sustainable funding sources.
- Develop and execute strategy to achieve 100% of FES’s funding goals annually; partner with the CEO and COS to develop a comprehensive long-term vision for FES’s development work.
- Develop and implement a multi-year strategy for increased long-term investment from our most critical supporters.
- Identify, cultivate, and solicit new major gifts, building and strengthening relationships with donors in existing national and regional sites, and for any new site initiatives.
- Build a stewardship culture aimed at cultivating deeper ties with donors and prospects.
Program Management and Team Management
- Oversee and manage FES’s fundraising program development and its execution, ensuring that FES systematically sets and meets short- and long-term fundraising goals.
- Manage one full-time staff member.
QUALITIES AND CHARACTERISTICS:
Candidates should enjoy working in a dynamic, results-oriented environment in which expectations are high for both the quality and speed of work. In addition, they should have the following:
- Commitment to FES’s mission and core values;
- 5+ years of development/fundraising experience required; an interest in education reform and politics a plus;
- Sophistication, with the intellectual depth and maturity to work with and advise the CEO, staff, partner organizations and Board members in development-related activities;
- A track record of success in raising significant amounts of money through some or all of the following: major gifts from individuals, annual giving campaigns, innovative partnerships, corporations, and foundations;
- Strategic understanding of various development campaign activities, including: direct mail, grant writing, and reporting, proposal and grant development, annual fund and planned giving, event planning and management, direct solicitations, leveraging fundraising databases and support systems for donor segmentation, research and volunteer management;
- Exceptional project manager in development settings, capable of developing and executing critical paths for solicitation and engagement across multiple geographies and projects;
- Demonstrated experience in managing budgets;
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal (e.g. solicitation letters, donor correspondence, proposals reports and other materials for publication, meetings and presentations in-person, by phone, and by video conference) and the charisma to inspire in these multiple formats;
- Strong ability to manage up and laterally;
- Strategic thinking skills with an entrepreneurial mindset;
- Detail orientation, with an ability to operate in a highly organized fashion;
- Excellent listening skills; comfortable receiving input from many sources, analyzing disparate information to synthesize a sound, well-organized plan.
In keeping with the work, candidates must be able to travel and work on site frequently, and work moderately irregular hours when needed.
PAY & PERKS
Families for Excellent Schools is committed to providing the best for our employees in and outside of the office. We offer competitive salaries and a full slate of benefits including health coverage, an FSA, a 401K plan with 5% matching and pre-tax commuter benefits, and monthly cell phone bill reimbursements. Employees enjoy a generous vacation policy, alternating summer Fridays, and our office is shut down for a week at the end of the calendar year. We’ve partnered with AnyPerk to provide discounts from over 850 brands so that our employees can save on a variety of different products. Perks also include a MacBook on your first day and an open and collaborative office space.
Families for Excellent Schools is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment. Families for Excellent Schools does not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Families for Excellent Schools is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values teamwork, collaboration, creativity, and diversity.