At Families for Excellent Schools, our employees are passionate about their belief that all children should have access to great schools and education. We have diverse professional and personal backgrounds, and we don’t simply accept them - we celebrate them, we support them, and we thrive on them for the benefit of our employees, organization and the communities with which we work. We are an active and energetic group, who like to roll up our sleeves and get things done, which reinforces our culture and organization's core values of Collaboration, Results, Grit, and Respect.
As our Managing Director of Data, you’ll lead our efforts to build an best-in-class data system with the education reform advocacy space to have transformational national impact. You will be the system owner of our new CRM (Salesforce) and will lead the innovation that needs to happen to leverage that foundation. This will include road-mapping the system vision, developing innovations in data usage to drive excellent organizing and field work, taking an interface designed for parent organizing and expanding it to support electoral work, conducting electoral modeling and microtargeting, and overseeing user onboarding and organization-wide reporting. You’ll be the lead resource at our organization, supporting new and tenured staff, all with varying skills and CRM experience. You’ve got a penchant for not only analyzing data, but also operationalizing key business processes and investing cross-functional teams in a shared vision. In a typical day you may configure Salesforce, check-in with your direct report and update our cabinet on the progress of user adoption, all while maintaining an optimistic outlook and juggling competing priorities. You seize any opportunity to contribute to a data-driven culture and work as an integral member across multiple teams. If you enjoy transforming your vision into results, aligning multiple stakeholders and digging deep into big data, we happily invite you to apply to join our team!
Vision Setting and Innovation
- Develop a clear long-term roadmap and vision for the CRM system
- Identify and pursue key innovations related to data usage and expanding the system to support electoral work
- Develop an approach to conducting electoral modeling and microtargeting and serve as the point person on data as FES expands more and more into electoral work overall
Learning & Development
- Develop and run a set of onboarding and professional development trainings for our organizing, program, and development staff around CRM usage and basic data analyses.
- Lead internal customer support for our Salesforce CRM platform, responding to staff members as needed with the ultimate goal of creating systematic improvements to pre-empt future requests.
Data Integrity & Reporting
- Monitor our CRM data integrity, disseminating data entry norms and building controls to guarantee clean, accurate and reliable data.
- Systematize our CRM data reports across the organization, especially to the Cabinet and team leaders, with the dual goal of minimizing time spent on chasing data and data discussions leading to accountability and real change.
- Execute historical reporting requests and identify trends within large data sets, often merging groups of data from different sources to understand our organizational landscape.
- Provide oversight to our data manager, as they observe staff members in action and architect solutions to our Salesforce configuration that enhance the user experience and reflect a greater understanding of our unique business processes.
- Lead ad-hoc projects as needed with limited support and quick timelines.
People & Project Management
- Manage one direct report to success, including project management oversight and professional development progress.
- Roadmap system priorities across all organizational functions and allocate resources to realize these goals.
- When appropriate, manage consulting partners and/or vendor relationships and contracts.
- Bachelor’s degree and minimum of 3 - 5 years working in politics, data analytics or nonprofits; experience in political campaigns a plus.
- Experience managing direct reports and leading cross-functional projects involving multiple stakeholders.
- Experience designing data systems for political or organizing work.
- Advanced Excel skills; Salesforce.com user experience or administrator experience a strong plus.
- Eager to provide support and fulfill requests across multiple levels, from entry level customer support to urgent cabinet level reporting requests.
- A Bent for Optimization. Always looking to improve systems and user experience.
- Data Whisperer. Can break down complex problems into simple language that staff can understand and solve together.
- Independence. Comfortable working autonomously and excels at finding solutions with little guidance.
- Passion. You love education, or you love politics, or you love data. Ideally you love them all!
- Optimism. You’ve got an unbreakable, problem solving, can-do attitude.
PAY & PERKS
Families for Excellent Schools is committed to providing the best for our employees in and outside of the office. We offer competitive salaries and a full slate of benefits including health coverage, an FSA, a 401K plan with 5% matching and pre-tax commuter benefits, and monthly cell phone bill reimbursements. Employees enjoy a generous vacation policy, alternating summer Fridays, and our office is shut down for a week at the end of the calendar year. We’ve partnered with AnyPerk to provide discounts from over 850 brands so that our employees can save on a variety of different products. Perks also include a MacBook on your first day and an open and collaborative office space.
Families for Excellent Schools is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment. Families for Excellent Schools does not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Families for Excellent Schools is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values teamwork, collaboration, creativity, and diversity.