At Families for Excellent Schools, our employees are passionate about their belief that all children should have access to great schools and education. We have diverse professional and personal backgrounds, and we don’t simply accept them - we celebrate them, we support them, and we thrive on them for the benefit of our employees, organization and the communities with which we work. We are an active and energetic group, who like to roll up our sleeves and get things done, which reinforces our culture and organization's core values of Collaboration, Results, Grit, and Respect.
As Associate of Research and Policy, you will support the communications team in numerous areas. Reporting to the Director of Research and Policy, you will manage development of all policy research content – white papers, and short analyses, aligned to the overall campaign. You will work as an integral member across multiple teams and dive headfirst into a fast-paced environment. If you are an expert writer, love working with data and people, and want to be involved in mission driven work, we happily invite you to apply to join our team!
Responsibilities of the Associate of Research and Policy will include but are not limited to:
Rapid Response (~50%):
- Support daily, weekly, and monthly research and data priorities.
- Respond to quick-turnaround data and analytic requests to support communications team, media inquiries, and other internal needs;
- Manage and compile state/district/school-level student achievement data in each region;
- Synthesize the newest research on issues of vital interest to FES and its members in regular briefings, building relationships with key experts from other organizations and contributing social media content.
- Identify and monitor ongoing and trending issues in education policy at the national, state, and local levels.
- Support Families for Excellent Schools’ development of research and policy initiatives across all regions.
- Provide communications team with policy support as needed by drafting issue briefs, one-pagers, research reports, and other materials to make a research case for our policy goals;
- Support presentations on student achievement and public education reform issues in the region designed for various diverse audiences, including parents (particularly low-income parents), the media, elected officials, school districts, and the broader community.
Candidates should enjoy working in a dynamic, results-oriented environment in which expectations are high for both the quality and speed of work. Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university and 2-4 years of relevant work or academic experience are preferred. Strong preference for candidates with a background in education/public policy and experience working with education data.
You excel at:
- All things data: analyzing quantitative and qualitative data, combining disparate datasets, highly proficient in Excel (working knowledge of formulas and vlookup is a must, macros a plus but not required), and can identify clear, compelling data-based narratives. You work with a high degree of accuracy and precision.
- Translating data into media-friendly, pitch ready memos and analyses. You understand the relevant education issues, politics, and players.
- Thrive in a fast paced entrepreneurial environment with the capacity to be flexible, collaborative, and solutions-oriented;
- Working on a highly collaborative, close knit team (we’re nerds/wonks/political junkies and enjoy what we do).
In addition, you have:
- Strong project management skills; detail orientation, with an ability to operate in a highly organized fashion;
- Strong communication skills;
- An ability to effectively build relationships with various internal and external partners;
- Preferred commitment to education, low-income communities, and communities of color.
PAY & PERKS
Families for Excellent Schools is committed to providing the best for our employees in and outside of the office. We offer competitive salaries and a full slate of benefits including health coverage, an FSA, a 401K plan with 5% matching and pre-tax commuter benefits, and monthly cell phone bill reimbursements. Employees enjoy a generous vacation policy, alternating summer Fridays, and our office is shut down for a week at the end of the calendar year. We’ve partnered with AnyPerk to provide discounts from over 850 brands so that our employees can save on a variety of different products. Perks also include a shiny new MacBook on your first day and an open and collaborative office space.
Families for Excellent Schools is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment. Families for Excellent Schools does not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Families for Excellent Schools is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values teamwork, collaboration, creativity, and diversity.