Faire is an online wholesale marketplace built on the belief that the future is local — there are over 2 million independent retailers in North America and Europe doing more than $2 trillion in revenue. At Faire, we're using the power of tech, data, and machine learning to connect this thriving community of entrepreneurs across the globe. Picture your favorite boutique in town — we help them discover the best products from around the world to sell in their stores. With the right tools and insights, we believe that we can level the playing field so that small businesses everywhere can compete with these big box and e-commerce giants.
By supporting the growth of independent businesses, Faire is driving positive economic impact in local communities, globally. We’re looking for smart, resourceful and passionate people to join us as we power the shop local movement. If you believe in community, come join ours.
About this role
At Faire, we’re on a mission to create a future where independent retail is thriving; where makers and artisans can turn their passions into successful businesses; where people around the world can discover the unique shops and goods that make our communities special.
As our Head of UX Research, you’ll shape the company's business and product strategy by delivering insights that allow us to define and build valuable products and features. You’ll also join a tight-knit, collaborative Design team that cares deeply about Faire’s customers and ensures they have great experiences. Our team is at the center of user experience at Faire, improving our product for the hundreds of thousands of customers we serve.
We’re looking for a research leader to set the strategy, vision, and direction for the research practice at Faire. You'll partner closely with cross-functional leaders in Product, Data, Marketing, and Finance, not only to shape research initiatives led by our research team but also to build strong distributed research systems that empower the whole company to connect with our customers.
The ideal candidate will have experience conducting quality, high-impact mixed methods research. Fluency with qualitative, quantitative, and market research methods. And the ability to coach and direct researchers in the utilization of a range of methodologies and approaches. They will have built research teams and systems at scale, as well as hired and mentored high-achieving researchers. Lastly, they will have experience partnering closely with senior leadership, including C-suite executives.
This role will report directly to our Head of Design and join the design leadership team at Faire.
We're looking for candidates open to working in San Francisco, CA, Los Angeles, CA, New York City, NY, Atlanta, GA, Toronto, ON, Kitchener, ON or remotely.
As the Head of UX Research, you will...
- Establish the vision for research at Faire. Develop a plan for scaling research that balances immediate business needs, and the growth of a world-class research function
- Shape the company strategy, by identifying the most important questions to answer and connecting the dots across all the research streams of work.
- Advise and mentor high-performing researchers, by working closely with them on their projects and priorities.
- Build a world-class distributed research system, that enables teams across the company to easily conduct high-quality research on their own
- Shape Faire’s and the design team’s culture, through collaboration, feedback, and proactive participation
What we’re looking for…
- You’re a trained researcher and have an advanced degree in a field related to UX research (e.g. HCI, Psychology, Sociology, etc.) or an equivalent form of relevant research training.
- 10+ years of experience researching digital products and systems. You have a breadth of knowledge about UX research, from methods to effective storytelling
- You’ve managed teams of 5+ researchers for at least 5 years, and ideally have built a research discipline from the ground up before.
- You have conducted mix-method research in international markets
- You excel at building relationships & trust with leadership and cross-functional partners
- You have great communication skills and a collaborative approach. You’re a great partner to others and your cross-functional teammates.
- You have a strong growth mindset. You’re open and receptive to feedback and can adapt quickly in a fast-paced environment.
- You are product-centric, you think about the value of research in terms of product development and outcomes.
We value candidates that bring a range of experience from different industries and a variety of creative influences. If you’re a maker or retailer yourself and can bring first-hand experience and empathy for the small business and entrepreneurial journey, tell us your story!
Faire’s flexible work model aims to meet the needs of our diverse employee community by making work more flexible, connected, and inclusive. Depending on the role and needs of the team, Faire employees have the flexibility to choose how they work–whether that’s mainly in the office, remotely, or a mix of both.
Roles that list only a country in the location are eligible for fully remote work in that country or in- office work at a Faire office in that country, provided employees are located in the registered country/province/state. Roles with only a city location are eligible for in-office or hybrid office work in that city. Our talent team will work with candidates to determine what locations and roles are eligible for each option.
Why you’ll love working at Faire
- We are entrepreneurs: Faire is being built for entrepreneurs, by entrepreneurs. We believe entrepreneurship is a calling and our mission is to empower entrepreneurs to chase their dreams. Every member of our team is an owner of the business and taking part in the founding process.
- We are using technology and data to level the playing field: We are leveraging the power of product innovation and machine learning to connect brands and boutiques from all over the world, building a growing community of more than 350,000 small business owners.
- We build products our customers love: Everything we do is ultimately in the service of helping our customers grow their business because our goal is to grow the pie - not steal a piece from it. Running a small business is hard work, but using Faire makes it easy.
- We are curious and resourceful: Inquisitive by default, we explore every possibility, test every assumption, and develop creative solutions to the challenges at hand. We lead with curiosity and data in our decision making, and reason from a first principles mentality.
Faire was founded in 2017 by a team of early product and engineering leads from Square. We’re backed by some of the top investors in retail and tech including: Y Combinator, Lightspeed Venture Partners, Forerunner Ventures, Khosla Ventures, Sequoia Capital, Founders Fund, and DST Global. We have headquarters in San Francisco and Kitchener-Waterloo, and a global employee presence across offices in Salt Lake City, Atlanta, Toronto, London, New York, LA, and Sao Paulo. To learn more about Faire and our customers, you can read more on our blog.
Faire provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.
Faire is committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities. To request reasonable accommodation, please fill out our Accommodation Request Form (https://bit.ly/faire-form)