Faire is an online wholesale marketplace built on the belief that the future is local — there are over 1M independent retailers in the U.S. and Canada doing more than twice the revenue of Walmart and Amazon combined. At Faire, we're using the power of tech, data, and machine learning to connect a thriving community of over 100,000 brands and local retailers around the world. Picture your favorite boutique in town — we help them discover the best products to sell in their stores. With the right tools and insights, we believe that we can level the playing field so that small businesses can compete with these big box and ecommerce giants. We’re looking for smart, resourceful and passionate people to join us as we power the shop local movement.
About the role
Faire is revolutionizing wholesale and helping local retailers and their suppliers succeed in a technology-enabled era. As an essential member of our growing finance and accounting team, you will play an integral role in laying the accounting foundation for a multi-billion dollar company. This is an ideal role for someone who wants to work in a fast-paced, highly collaborative, and data-driven environment.
In this role, you will:
- Play a key role in driving towards IPO readiness including S-1 preparations
- Research and prepare technical accounting positions for our significant accounting policies including revenue recognition, potential business combinations, and equity related issues
- Collaborate with legal, finance, engineering, product, and sales teams to provide guidance on accounting, process, and/or policy issues with particular focus on revenue recognition
- Monitor / implement ASC 606, ASC 718, ASC 842 and other accounting pronouncements and guidances
- Analyze and support new programs and marketplace features; determine associated accounting treatment, and communicate financial statement impacts to leadership team
- Serve as the key point of contact with our external auditors to ensure accuracy and compliance with GAAP
- Document financial processes, accounting policies and standard operating procedures
- Participate in and help lead essential accounting projects including audit readiness and management reporting
- Assist with review of journal entries and prepare month-end reconciliations for revenue and other ad-hoc projects
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance or Accounting; CPA required
- 8+ years of experience working in a combination of auditing and technical accounting; Pre-IPO to IPO experience preferred. Big 4 and management experience a plus
- Proven ability to work cross-functionally with Finance, Legal, Product, and Sales to proactively identify accounting issues, research applicable US GAAP, IFRS, SEC, and Big 4 guides and document accounting conclusions
- Strong analytical skills; including proven ability to independently analyze transactions and contracts and document the related accounting analysis under GAAP
- Familiarity with ERP systems such as Netsuite
- A team player and commitment to deliver outstanding results while having a fun time with your teammates doing it!
- You are resourceful and not afraid to roll up your sleeves.
Why you’ll love working at Faire
- We are entrepreneurs: We believe entrepreneurship is a calling and our mission is to empower entrepreneurs to chase their dreams. Every member of our team is an owner of the business and taking part in the founding process.
- We are using tech and machine learning to level the playing field: We are using the power of technology and data to connect brands and boutiques from all over the world, building a thriving community of over 100,000 small business owners.
- We build products our customers love: Everything we do is ultimately in the service of helping our customers grow their business because our goal is to grow the pie - not steal a piece from it. Running a small business is hard work, but using Faire makes it easy.
- We are curious and resourceful: We always find a way to get the job done and come up with creative solutions to whatever problems are standing in our way. People at Faire are insatiably curious. We lead with curiosity and data in our decision making and reason from a first principles mindset.
Faire was founded in 2017 by a team of early product and engineering leads from Square. We’re backed by some of the top investors in retail and tech including: Y Combinator, Lightspeed Venture Partners, Forerunner Ventures, Khosla Ventures, Sequoia Capital, Founders Fund, and DST Global. We have offices in San Francisco, Kitchener-Waterloo, and Salt Lake City. We’re looking for smart, resourceful and passionate people to join us as we power the shop local movement. To learn more about Faire and our customers, you can read more on our blog.
Faire is being built for entrepreneurs, by entrepreneurs.