Faire is an online wholesale marketplace built on the belief that the future of retail is local. There are over 1M independent retailers in the U.S. and Canada doing more than twice the revenue of Walmart and Amazon combined. At Faire, we're using the power of technology and data to connect a growing community of over 150,000 brands and independent retailers around the world. Picture your favorite boutique in town — we help them discover the best products to sell in their stores. By empowering entrepreneurs with the right tools and insights, we believe that we can level the playing field so that small businesses can compete with big box and e-commerce giants. We’re looking for smart, resourceful and passionate people to join us as we power the shop local movement. If you believe in community, come join ours.
About this role
Faire is a company invested in good design—as Systems Design Manager, you’ll lead a cross-functional team of designers and engineers who care deeply about creating beautiful, scalable, and accessible experiences for our customers.
As Faire's first Systems Design Manager, you’ll help drive the long-term strategy of our design system–Foundations with team members across product design, engineering, and branding. You'll work with product teams across our Retailer and Brand experiences to define impactful, scalable improvements to our system that will allow them to deliver higher-quality experiences for our customers with confidence.
We’re looking for a team leader that excels in detail-oriented, system thinking to set up our product for scale and bring a genuine desire to learn about our customers.
We're looking for candidates open to working in San Francisco, CA, Los Angeles, CA, New York City, NY, Atlanta, GA, Toronto, ON, Kitchener, ON or remotely.
What you’ll do
- Guide the strategic thinking of the design system teams roadmap, process and goals.
- Collaborate with partners across design and engineering to define, build, and release new components and patterns for our products.
- Construct component libraries, guidelines, and templates that effectively communicate design needs across our org.
- Develop and deliver well-documented, high fidelity components that adhere to our visual standards and reflect our Faire brand.
- Lead user interviews and research to better understand both internal and external customer needs.
- Mentor and guide team members, helping them develop their craft and grow.
- Contribute to and positively shape the design team’s culture through collaboration, feedback, and process iteration.
- 8+ years of experience designing digital products and systems. You have a breadth of knowledge of what goes into product design, from systems to visuals.
- 3+ years managing product teams. You have experience leading a small cross-functional team of designers and developers.
- Great communication skills. You present design decisions and processes clearly and confidently, regardless of audience.
- A collaborative approach. You’re a great partner to your cross-functional teammates.
- A growth-mindset. You’re open and receptive to feedback, and can adapt quickly in a fast-paced environment.
- A sense of humor. We spend a lot of time together—sharing gifs and laughing over lunch keeps us energized and inspired throughout the day.
Why you’ll love working at Faire
- We are entrepreneurs: Faire is being built for entrepreneurs, by entrepreneurs. We believe entrepreneurship is a calling and our mission is to empower entrepreneurs to chase their dreams. Every member of our team is an owner of the business and taking part in the founding process.
- We are using technology and data to level the playing field: We are leveraging the power of product innovation and machine learning to connect brands and boutiques from all over the world, building a growing community of more than 200,000 small business owners.
- We build products our customers love: Everything we do is ultimately in the service of helping our customers grow their business because our goal is to grow the pie - not steal a piece from it. Running a small business is hard work, but using Faire makes it easy.
- We are curious and resourceful: Inquisitive by default, we explore every possibility, test every assumption, and develop creative solutions to the challenges at hand. We lead with curiosity and data in our decision making, and reason from a first principles mentality.
Faire was founded in 2017 by a team of early product and engineering leads from Square. We’re backed by some of the top investors in retail and tech including: Y Combinator, Lightspeed Venture Partners, Forerunner Ventures, Khosla Ventures, Sequoia Capital, Founders Fund, and DST Global. We have headquarters in San Francisco and Kitchener-Waterloo, and a global employee presence across offices in Salt Lake City, Atlanta, Toronto, London and Sao Paulo. To learn more about Faire and our customers, you can read more on our blog.
Faire provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.