Faire is an online wholesale marketplace built on the belief that the future of retail is local. There are over 1M independent retailers in the U.S. and Canada doing more than twice the revenue of Walmart and Amazon combined. At Faire, we're using the power of technology and data to connect a growing community of over 150,000 brands and independent retailers around the world. Picture your favorite boutique in town — we help them discover the best products to sell in their stores. By empowering entrepreneurs with the right tools and insights, we believe that we can level the playing field so that small businesses can compete with big box and e-commerce giants. We’re looking for smart, resourceful and passionate people to join us as we power the shop local movement. If you believe in community, come join ours.
About this role
Faire is a company invested in good design—as a Design Manager, you’ll join a tight-knit, collaborative team of designers who care deeply about creating beautiful and intuitive experiences. Our team is at the center of product work at Faire, designing experiences for the thousands of small retailers and maker brands growing their businesses in our marketplace.
We’re looking for team members that excel across the entire product development lifecycle, come with a growth mindset, and bring a genuine desire to learn about our customers. This role will report directly to the Head of Design; as part of the design leadership team, you’ll have the opportunity to help shape the future of our culture, processes, and systems as we continue to grow.
We're looking for candidates open to working in San Francisco, CA, Los Angeles, CA, New York City, NY, Atlanta, GA, Toronto, ON, or Kitchener, ON.
What you’ll do
- Define and drive the design strategy for a specific pillar of our product
- Build, manage, and lead a high-performing team of designers
- Create an inclusive, creative, and safe environment for new ideas and ways of thinking
- Collaborate with partners across product and engineering to define, build, and release new products and features
- Coach, mentor, and provide feedback to team members, helping them develop clear career goals and steps to achieve them
- Jump into the tools as needed (all of our design managers care deeply about and are actively engaged in our product details, designs, and outcomes)
- 2+ years managing designers (or equivalent experience)
- Experience designing digital products and systems.You have a breadth of knowledge of what goes into product design, from systems to visuals.
- Great communication skills. You present design decisions and processes clearly and confidently, regardless of audience.
- A collaborative approach. You’re a great partner to other designers and your cross-functional teammates.
- A growth-mindset. You’re open and receptive to feedback, and can adapt quickly in a fast-paced environment.
- A sense of humor. We spend a lot of time together—sharing gifs and laughing over lunch keeps us energized and inspired throughout the day.
We value candidates that bring a range of experience from different industries and a variety of creative influences. If you’re a maker or retailer yourself and can bring first-hand experience and empathy for the small business and entrepreneurial journey, tell us your story!
Why you’ll love working at Faire
- We are entrepreneurs: Faire is being built for entrepreneurs, by entrepreneurs. We believe entrepreneurship is a calling and our mission is to empower entrepreneurs to chase their dreams. Every member of our team is an owner of the business and taking part in the founding process.
- We are using technology and data to level the playing field: We are leveraging the power of product innovation and machine learning to connect brands and boutiques from all over the world, building a growing community of more than 200,000 small business owners.
- We build products our customers love: Everything we do is ultimately in the service of helping our customers grow their business because our goal is to grow the pie - not steal a piece from it. Running a small business is hard work, but using Faire makes it easy.
- We are curious and resourceful: Inquisitive by default, we explore every possibility, test every assumption, and develop creative solutions to the challenges at hand. We lead with curiosity and data in our decision making, and reason from a first principles mentality.
Faire was founded in 2017 by a team of early product and engineering leads from Square. We’re backed by some of the top investors in retail and tech including: Y Combinator, Lightspeed Venture Partners, Forerunner Ventures, Khosla Ventures, Sequoia Capital, Founders Fund, and DST Global. We have headquarters in San Francisco and Kitchener-Waterloo, and a global employee presence across offices in Salt Lake City, Atlanta, Toronto, London and Sao Paulo. To learn more about Faire and our customers, you can read more on our blog.
Faire provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.