Faire is an online wholesale marketplace built on the belief that the future is local — there are over 1M independent retailers in the U.S. and Canada doing more than twice the revenue of Walmart and Amazon combined. At Faire, we're using the power of tech, data, and machine learning to connect a thriving community of over 100,000 brands and local retailers around the world. Picture your favorite boutique in town — we help them discover the best products to sell in their stores. With the right tools and insights, we believe that we can level the playing field so that small businesses can compete with these big box and ecommerce giants. We’re looking for smart, resourceful and passionate people to join us as we power the shop local movement.
At Faire we build elegant and efficient products to deliver superior customer experiences and enhance marketplace efficiency at the same time. From the mobile checkout process, to personalized search ranking, to the intelligent underwriting engine that determines credit limits for retailers --- we are constantly iterating and innovating our product offering to create more value for the ecosystem.
You’ll work on a diverse set of problems such as optimizing reverse logistics and freight costs, determine optimal pricing for products on resale channels, compute optimal credit limits, and grow Faire’s subscription program. You will be working closely with other data scientists, engineers, and product managers to drive projects that derive value from our unique, rich, and rapidly growing data on two sided marketplace.
What you will be doing:
- Leverage machine learning to optimize Faire’s membership program by maximizing subscription enrollment while minimizing the program cost.
- Modeling and forecasting demand and supply to enable optimal pricing strategies to help increase Faire’s resale channel sales.
- Improve Faire’s credit portfolio by evaluating creditworthiness of retailers on Faire’s platform; use predictive modeling to dynamically assign credit limits that minimize default risk and maximize growth.
What it takes:
- An advanced degree (MS or PhD) in a relevant discipline such as statistics, economics, econometrics, mathematics, computer science, operations research, etc.
- 2+ years of experience using predictive modeling and analyses to solve real world problems with large datasets
- Resourcefulness and proactiveness: track record for executing independent projects and leading complex, multi-functional projects with several dependencies.
- Strong communication skills: can effectively and patiently work with others in a closely collaborative team environment and evangelize experimentation to the organization.
- Proficiency with Python / R and SQL.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to work with others in a closely collaborative team environment.
- Prior experience solving data problems in two-sided marketplaces is a big plus.
Why you’ll love working at Faire:
- We are entrepreneurs: We believe entrepreneurship is a calling and our mission is to empower entrepreneurs to chase their dreams. Every member of our team is an owner of the business and taking part in the founding process.
- We are using tech and machine learning to level the playing field: We are using the power of technology and data to connect brands and boutiques from all over the world, building a thriving community of over 100,000 small business owners.
- We build products our customers love: Everything we do is ultimately in the service of helping our customers grow their business because our goal is to grow the pie - not steal a piece from it. Running a small business is hard work, but using Faire makes it easy.
- We are curious and resourceful: We always find a way to get the job done and come up with creative solutions to whatever problems are standing in our way. People at Faire are insatiably curious. We lead with curiosity and data in our decision making and reason from a first principles mindset.
Faire was founded in 2017 by a team of early product and engineering leads from Square. We’re backed by some of the top investors in retail and tech including: Y Combinator, Lightspeed Venture Partners, Forerunner Ventures, Khosla Ventures, Sequoia Capital, Founders Fund, and DST Global. We have offices in San Francisco, Kitchener-Waterloo, and Salt Lake City. We’re looking for smart, resourceful and passionate people to join us as we power the shop local movement. To learn more about Faire and our customers, you can read more on our blog.
Faire is being built for entrepreneurs, by entrepreneurs.
Faire provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.