Faire is an online wholesale marketplace built on the belief that the future of retail is local. There are over 1M independent retailers in the U.S. and Canada doing more than twice the revenue of Walmart and Amazon combined. At Faire, we're using the power of technology and data to connect a growing community of over 150,000 brands and independent retailers around the world. Picture your favorite boutique in town — we help them discover the best products to sell in their stores. By empowering entrepreneurs with the right tools and insights, we believe that we can level the playing field so that small businesses can compete with big box and e-commerce giants. We’re looking for smart, resourceful and passionate people to join us as we power the shop local movement. If you believe in community, come join ours.
About this role
We’re looking for an inspiring Design Director to help Faire’s customers thrive. Reporting directly to the Head of Design, and working closely with cross-functional partners in Product, Engineering and Data, to lead, manage and grow a team of 10+ designers to shape and build the experience.
This is a role like no other, at an especially exciting moment in Faire’s journey. Our business is thriving, our customer base continues to grow, and we believe the impact of this role can fuel our company to grow in unprecedented ways. You’ll be in a position to design and reshape the core experience of our marketplace, making it more usable and useful, more delightful, and creating the foundation for Faire to build upon for years to come.
We're looking for candidates open to working in San Francisco, CA, Los Angeles, CA, New York City, NY, Atlanta, GA, Toronto, ON, or Kitchener, ON.
What you’ll do
- Set the product strategy: Envision what the experience for Faire could be, and work with your team and cross-functional partners to make it come to life.
- Design and ship product: Build a strong partnership with the PM and Eng leads. Create yearly, and bi-yearly roadmaps for the pillar. Work with the managers to ensure the different product areas are meeting their business objectives, whilst bringing value for our customers.
- Uphold the craft, improve the process: Ensure the design bar is kept high across all streams of work, that it follows Faire design standards and patterns. Keep on iterating and improving the product development process, and make sure users continue to be the driving force behind our design decisions.
- Build and develop the team: Grow and mentor your team of designers. Work with your managers to help them develop the designers on the team.
- Elevate the design organization: Be a helpful and inspiring leader to the designers on your team. Enhance the rest of the design organization through mentorship and strong systems-building. Contribute positively to the culture of the design team through thoughtful initiatives.
- Mastery of craft: A respected designer that has mastered their craft in more than one design discipline, and is not scared to get into the details and work alongside their team.
- Product intuition: A creative that can consistently anticipate what customers want and why, making product decisions based on customer insights.
- Intuition For Business: A meticulous problem solver that can make the right calls to prioritize work that drives business impact.
- Track Record of Shipping: An experienced builder that knows what it takes to ship product, and can set up the right processes to do so at scale.
- Strong Collaboration: An inspiring communicator that builds trust, is able to influence and bring alignment across the organization.
- Org Building: A team builder with 8+ years of leading and managing ICs and managers, as well as experience in hiring top talent.
- Inspiring Mentorship: A mentor who is energized by growing others’ careers and knows how to empower a team.
- Kindness & humility: An empathic teammate that embraces vulnerability, and makes themselves available for their team and beyond.
Why you’ll love working at Faire
- We are entrepreneurs: Faire is being built for entrepreneurs, by entrepreneurs. We believe entrepreneurship is a calling and our mission is to empower entrepreneurs to chase their dreams. Every member of our team is an owner of the business and taking part in the founding process.
- We are using technology and data to level the playing field: We are leveraging the power of product innovation and machine learning to connect brands and boutiques from all over the world, building a growing community of more than 200,000 small business owners.
- We build products our customers love: Everything we do is ultimately in the service of helping our customers grow their business because our goal is to grow the pie - not steal a piece from it. Running a small business is hard work, but using Faire makes it easy.
- We are curious and resourceful: Inquisitive by default, we explore every possibility, test every assumption, and develop creative solutions to the challenges at hand. We lead with curiosity and data in our decision making, and reason from a first principles mentality.
Faire was founded in 2017 by a team of early product and engineering leads from Square. We’re backed by some of the top investors in retail and tech including: Y Combinator, Lightspeed Venture Partners, Forerunner Ventures, Khosla Ventures, Sequoia Capital, Founders Fund, and DST Global. We have headquarters in San Francisco and Kitchener-Waterloo, and a global employee presence across offices in Salt Lake City, Atlanta, Toronto, London and Sao Paulo. To learn more about Faire and our customers, you can read more on our blog.
Faire provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.