The Senior Vice President, Ophthalmology will report to the Chief Operating Officer (COO) and will be responsible for the Ophthalmology and ASC business unit. This includes driving overall strategy and execution of the ophthalmology practices. The SVP, Ophthalmology will work with the medical doctor leaders to ensure talent management, facility oversight, patient service and satisfaction and drive all other operational elements to deliver effective, efficient, and world-class service and outcomes.
The most significant aspects of this position will be the strategic and day-to-day operational management of the multi-state, multi-unit ophthalmology businesses. The ideal candidate will bring a track record of leading other successful multi-site healthcare businesses through growth and operational improvement. He/she will bring strong operational disciplines to the organization and will have an innate understanding of the drivers of profitability while maintaining a culture of clinical quality. The company has a plan to continue strong growth and the SVP will build a scalable infrastructure to take the company to the next level. This executive must support and share the vision for the entire organization and operate in concert with cross-functional leaders to deliver results.
The SVP, Ophthalmology is responsible for challenging the status quo of the current activities to ensure the company is looking towards new and innovative ideas, practices and solutions to address changes in the healthcare delivery system as it relates to ophthalmology and vision care. This executive will continually evaluate new ideas, new technology and solutions with the goal of enhancing quality, access, productivity and lowering healthcare cost.
The SVP, Ophthalmology will also be an integral player in the ophthalmology mergers and acquisition process…..participating in management presentations, “interviews”, relationship development, due diligence, etc. This begins the doctor/office relationships even before practice closure thus improving the integration and practice build.
Every bit as important as operations management, this position “owns” the doctor/practice leader/support staff relationships. Physician relationships are absolutely an essential ingredient of this position. The incumbent must be able to embrace the staff at all levels, being their conduit to the EyeCare Partners organization, being their champion, as appropriate, for practice enhancements, and serving as a trusted advisor. It is an extremely important “balancing role” – balancing operational excellence without stepping on individual doctor/patient relationships and care.
- Develop the short-and long-term Ophthalmology roadmap for clinical and surgery center operations to support ECP's growth trajectory.
- Build a positive, proactive partnership with the senior leadership team, leading to the effective prioritization and delivery of projects directly linked to the company’s overall strategy.
- Builds positive, proactive, “trusted advisor” relationships with MDs and ODs within the Company’s portfolio, as well as relationships with significant Ophthalmologists outside our portfolio, as well as other industry leaders.
- Develop, execute, and monitor strategies to provide high-quality care in a cost-effective manner to ensure the organization’s financial strength and to optimize revenue opportunities.
- Provide leadership, direction, and administration of operations to ensure compliance with established objectives and to achieve strategic goals of the organization as well as compliance with various federal, state, and local regulations
- Seamlessly works with the executive leadership team, the Chief Medical Officer and other leadership staff on engaging, retaining, and increasing the performance and productivity of physicians and clinical staff and acts as a model and champion for integration across the system
- Remains knowledgeable of market and industry trends, competitors, and all aspects of the organization’s competitive environment.
- Creates new opportunities by being a thought leader providing strategic and operational insight. Redesigns the status quo to create and deliver new value.
- Provides leadership in streamlining operations and maximizing effectiveness and efficiency and reviews the staffing needs.
- Operations: The SVP will build upon the operational infrastructure today within the Ophthalmology practice to create a scalable platform to improve outcomes, support continued growth and deliver outstanding clinical quality. The SVP will evaluate the Ophthalmology executive team and make key additions and changes to support the new strategy and operating model.
- Business Development: The SVP will play a critical role in driving the growth agenda for Ophthalmology including supporting the M&A strategy through building relationships with physicians and new practices, leading critical diligence efforts and supporting integration activities.
- Physician Relationships: The SVP will be responsible for maintaining strong physician relationships within Eyecare Partners and across the industry to support the company’s growth agenda. In conjunction with internal clinical resources, the SVP will support a growing structure of physician leaders and help coordinate activities that drive collaboration with the optometry business in partnership with the Chief Operating Officer.
Relevant Skills and Abilities:
- Senior Business Leadership in a Relevant Industry
- A results-oriented, seasoned leader with a successful track record growing a healthcare business. Deep experience with multi-site, for-profit healthcare services.
- Track record of successfully building relationships with physicians. Experience gaining credibility and partnering effectively with medical staff to achieve desired facility specific and organizational outcomes.
- Track record of success in leading the operations for a large, complex enterprise. Excellent human capital, organizational and communication skills are essential. History of developing and motivating managers and staff to achieve strategic objectives and maintain accountability.
- Bachelors or Master’s Degree in Business Administration, Accounting, Finance, Healthcare Administration, Economics or related discipline. M.D. or equivalent with appropriate experience is a plus
- Develops and implements plans consistent with overall company strategy that includes specific goals and timelines and actively measures progress against the goals.
- Develops KPIs and incorporates them into daily management processes with the team
- Develops feedback loops to understand and forecast issues and opportunities in a manner that can be acted upon or resolved quickly
- Focuses on new opportunities that use technology to enable business growth and add value.