JOB TITLE: Surgical Tech- Part Time M-F Day Shift
REPORTS TO: OR Manager
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
Ability to assist in surgical operations under the supervision of surgeons, registered nurse and surgical assistants. Assists in the organization and daily function of the operating room in accordance with established Federal, State and accreditation standards and AS C policies and procedures. Assists the nurses and surgeons in delivering the highest standard of patient care available.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Critical Thinking – Ability prioritize, plan, and implement patient care within the scope of their practice. Ability to handle stress associated with prioritizing multiple tasks. Above average organization skills.
- Interpersonal / Teamwork- Demonstrates a positive, friendly and courteous manner. Maintains a professional attitude. Maintains effective communication with patients, families, physicians, and other staff. Able to effectively work within a team. Balances team and individual responsibilities. Recognizes each department’s significance and works appropriately with other departments. Above average communication skills: oral and written. Complies with HIPAA regulations.
- Job Knowledge/ Responsibilities - Performs their duties in an ethical and legal manner within the scope of their certification. Complies with reporting adverse incidents. Ability to scrub all types of cases performed at ASC. Ability to anticipate the needs of the surgeon and has equipment, medical gases and supplies readily available for all procedures. Has the ability to adhere to work schedule, be organized, manage time effectively and in a cost effective manner. Participates in continuing education/in-service training as needed, staff meetings, and the QAPI/Infection Control programs. Actively participates in the development of a healthy work environment. Assists in orientation of new staff when needed.
Knowledge of central and sterile supply department. Opens all sterile packs according to sterile technique and prepares instruments as needed. Helps prepare operating room by setting up surgical instruments; ensuring equipment works properly, labels sterile solutions. Helps gather supplies and equipment in the room. Maintains record on field of medication used intra-operatively, specimens retrieved, tissue implanted, implants, liquids or chemicals on field. Passes instruments and other sterile supplies to surgical assistants. May hold retractors, cut suture, help count sponges, needles or blades if applicable. Prepares, cares for and dispose specimens taken for laboratory analysis. Ability to operate sterilizer, lights, suction, and other operating room equipment/ diagnostic equipment. Assists in patient transfer to PACU, if needed. Helps clean and restock operating room. Assists with any technical function under supervision of system to carry out a safe operation. Ability to prep, drape and position the patient for surgery. Prepares for case according to surgeon’s preference card. Gathers supplies needed and anticipates needs for case. Needs manual dexterity to handle instruments. Must be emotionally conscientious, orderly, and emotionally stable to handle the OR environment.
- Attendance – Arrives to work area on time and has minimal absences.
- High School diploma or GED
- Two (2) years of hospital main operating room experience preferred
- Certification as a surgical technician preferred
- Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS) required
- Must be able to provide proof of their identity and their right to work in the United States
The employee must be able to:
- Walk, stand and sit for prolonged periods of time
- Occasionally be able to lift and/or move up to 25 pounds
- Occasionally be able to push up to an excess of 200 pounds
- Occasionally be able to pull/ lift patients with the assistance of other personnel and or assistive devices, up to an excess of 400-500 pounds
- Occasionally be able to bend, stoop, kneel and climb
ACCIDENT OR HEALTH HAZARDS
- Regular exposure to blood and body substances
- Exposure to needle sticks possible
- BloodBorne pathogen risk classification category #1
- Exposure to substances/chemicals i.e. alcohol, peroxide, bleach
- Works in well-lit and ventilated surroundings including operating rooms, nurse's stations, procedure rooms, lounge, etc.
- May occasionally be exposed to outside environment
If you need assistance with this application, please contact (636) 227-2600
EyeCare Partners is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and veteran or disability status.
Please do not contact the office directly – only resumes submitted through this website will be considered.