Today, over 100 million Americans don’t want or can’t get a credit card. Yet, there are very few alternatives for establishing your credit other than with a risky Credit Card. Our mission is to make credit building safer, smarter, and more accessible for everyone. Extra is the first debit card that builds your credit history and earns rewards points just like a credit card. Our technology uses your cash history to determine your spending limit, so there’s no need for a credit check.
(We couldn’t believe this didn’t already exist either)
Extra is run by a small, lean, and customer-obsessed team. Our crew has been responsible for internet sensations like Down to Shop, Try Not to Smile, and Coasterville — We are funded by some of the best consumer venture firms including Greycroft, Lerer Hippeau, Firstmark Capital, and more. As of recent, our cofounders Max and Cyrus made the Forbes 30 Under 30 List in 2020.
What we’re looking for
We are looking for an in-house communications director who gets excited about telling the previously untold story of one of the fastest growing consumer fintech companies in the world. We have created an innovative product that will reshape the credit industry as we know it. That said, we have a lot of exciting things to speak to, which is why we are looking for a relentless creative thinker who just so happens to be an exceptional communications director to match.
This role would be directly responsible for helping translate our internal efforts, customer growth, and overall performance outwardly via engaging with PR Agencies, Press, or any strategy to give Extra the publicity and public platform we hope to build our brand on top of, and landing the narrative that truly tells the story of what we are doing.
The ideal candidate has been responsible for a variety of external company announcements including fundraises, successful product launches, and industry think pieces under one company with a high bar for quality publications, language, and results.
This person would work directly with the leadership, growth, and our product teams to develop, manage, and ship newsworthy updates as well as bring a book of experience and relationships to help ensure placement and positioning as aligned to a strategy developed by this role with leadership early in the position. They would also be the point of contact for all inbound inquiries from publications, outlets, or potential platforms to communicate to our audience and beyond.
We are not looking for someone at a PR agency, we are looking for someone internal with full skin in the game to see this as a success. The more bootstrap, grassroots approach with relationships and love for hard work — the better.
What you’ll do
- Work with leadership and brand team to craft a holistic go to market and public relations strategy.
- Create target list / dream list of ideal publications, outlets, positioning of stories we hope to see exist based on those milestones
- Develop announcements / PR calendar widely distributed, understood, and collaboratively orchestrated with the entire team (people know when launch day is)
- See through, launch, amplify and respond to any publicity we develop through our outward or inbound communications.
- Identify unique engagement opportunities that other fintech's wouldn't think of. We are allergic to looking cookie cutter.
- Respond to inbound inquiries from publications, and outlets.
- What we talk about, what we don't
- What words we use, what we don't
- Key updates / Milestones in the business
- Product Launches
- Whitepaper Data Findings
Minimum Basic Requirements
- 5+ years of in-house communications experience at a company where you were responsible for multiple successful product launches.
- Effective communicator and storyteller who can work with cross-functional teams, manage multiple complex projects simultaneously, and produce under tight deadlines
- Strong writer who can turn technical capabilities into clear, concise, and compelling benefits for the right audience
- Possess a high work ethic, positive attitude, and almost-obsessive attention to detail
- Proven ability to build trusted relationships with key media and influencers.
- Work at a fast pace, you thrive in high pressure environments, and you still know how to laugh and have fun!