Today, over 100 million Americans don’t want or can’t get a credit card. Yet, there are very few alternatives for establishing your credit other than with a risky Credit Card. Our mission is to make credit building safer, smarter, and more accessible for everyone. Extra is the first debit card that builds your credit history and earns rewards points just like a credit card. Our technology uses your cash history to determine your spending limit, so there’s no need for a credit check.
(We couldn’t believe this didn’t already exist either)
Extra is run by a small, lean, and customer-obsessed team. Our crew has been responsible for internet sensations like Down to Shop, Try Not to Smile, and Coasterville — We are funded by some of the best consumer venture firms including Greycroft, Lerer Hippeau, Firstmark Capital, and more. As of recent, our cofounders Max and Cyrus made the Forbes 30 Under 30 List in 2020.
What we're looking for
We're looking for an experienced Director, Engineering to lead a team of talented engineers working on the architecture, design, and implementation of our APIs, backend systems, data flows, infrastructure, and front-end products, that make up Extra.
As you partner alongside our founding Director of Engineering, and work closely with stakeholders, you'll define the path, and the future of our engineering teams, in terms of processes, roadmaps, and resources, to maximize our team's efficiency and creativity, and meet business goals.
During a typical week, you could be coordinating discussions between teams; reviewing solution designs, technical specs; outlining technical expectations, requirements for other teams in the company; building, supporting, and expanding our engineering team; interviewing candidates; or conducting 1:1s.
We are in a hyper-growth stage, with hundreds of thousands of customers projected by the end of the year. If you're excited to join a tight-knit collaborative team with a mission of helping millions of Americans establish and better their financial journey, we'd love to hear from you!
What you'll do
- Establish, and improve processes and frameworks that make the team's work more productive, efficient, and allow creativity and entrepreneurship to shine — in the form of industry standards, or methodologies proven by past experience
- Mentor and coach both new and experienced engineers and leads, and support individuals' career developments
- Hire, build, and grow teams within engineering, to support all other teams of the business, with their respective engineering needs
- Work closely with our product teams to prepare, and manage engineering resources that drive product development, and unlock business goals
- Lead the development of robust, well-designed, documented, and tested systems and components, and complex highly-scalable, fault-tolerant, low-latency solutions
- Use your past experience, and gut judgment to evaluate trade-offs between quality, speed and costs
- Be a role-model, and a positive ambassador within Extra, as you will inspire your teams to deliver incredible outcomes, and pave the way for our following generation of engineering leaders, as you expand our existing incredible culture
Minimum Basic Requirements
- 4+ years of experience with leadership responsibilities, as a software engineer
- 3-7+ years of software engineering industry experience
- Outstanding people management and leadership skills — including hiring and coaching teams, and developing and recognizing individual's strengths, passion, and joy for areas of work
- Strong team player, communicator, and organizer
- Prior experience building, launching, and maintaining large-scale technical products
- Attention and care to detail, and quality
Not your role, but passionate about what we're doing? We'd still love to hear from you. Extra is always looking to hire exceptionally talented people who want to help change the future of wealth creation.