Today, over 100 million Americans don’t want or can’t get a credit card. Yet, there are very few alternatives for establishing your credit other than with a risky Credit Card. Our mission is to make credit building safer, smarter, and more accessible for everyone. Extra is the first debit card that builds your credit history and earns rewards points just like a credit card. Our technology uses your cash history to determine your spending limit, so there’s no need for a credit check.
(We couldn’t believe this didn’t already exist either)
Extra is run by a small, lean, and customer-obsessed team. Our crew has been responsible for internet sensations like Down to Shop, Try Not to Smile, and Coasterville- We are funded by some of the best consumer venture firms including Greycroft, Lerer Hippeau, Firstmark Capital, and more. As of recent, our cofounders Max and Cyrus made the Forbes 30 Under 30 List in 2020.
What we're looking for
The Associate General Counsel for this position will be primarily responsible for transactional matters supporting the growth of the Company’s financial services programs, vendor relationships and social media platform. The position will also be responsible for assisting with regulatory compliance matters and providing legal support and strategies for product implementation across multiple departments and providing legal guidance to senior management related to expansive growth and substantive development in all substantive areas.
What you'll do
- Negotiate, draft, and review Company’s third-party contracts, including those with strategic partners for the offering of new financial products across multiple states.
- Identify and resolve legal and business issues related to new and existing partners, products and services.
- Have a thorough knowledge of the Company’s business, partners and transactional documents pertaining to the Company’s activities.
- Assist in the responsibility for ensuring that the Company conducts its business in compliance with applicable federal and state laws and regulations.
- Participate in the definition and development of corporate policies and procedures for Company programs.
- Provide legal support for the development of strategic partnerships and joint ventures to offer new financial products to the public.
- Assist in cross-functional due diligence of potential partners.
- Perform legal research, prepare and render legal opinions to multiple departments.
- Selection, retention, management and evaluation of outside counsel.
- Other areas as interest, availability and ability permit.
Minimum Basic Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree, J.D. from an accredited law school and current license to practice law.
- Minimum 7 years of experience preferred, including 5 years of in-house corporate practice.
- Strong research, writing and transactional skills.
- Some experience with state and federal regulations related to banking and financial services preferred.
- Strong ability to analyze and interpret legal materials.
- Exceptional judgment, written and verbal communication skills, attention to detail and professionalism.
- Ability to manage numerous projects and prioritize effectively, typically under tight deadlines.
- Willingness to take ownership of legal projects and see them through to conclusion.
Not your role, but passionate about what we're doing? We'd still love to hear from you. Extra is always looking to hire exceptionally talented people who want to help change the future of wealth creation