Extend is modernizing the $100 billion-per-year protection plan industry using cutting-edge technology and top-notch customer service.
Our technology-forward omnichannel and API-first solution allows any merchant to offer protection plans, both online and in store, while also providing a merchant's end customers with a vastly improved and modern support experience that eliminates many of the issues customers face today with legacy underwriters. More recently, Extend also launched a shipping protection solution, covering consumers in the case of lost, damaged or stolen packages. This is further expanding the company’s addressable market and value creation for merchants.
We are a venture-backed startup in downtown San Francisco led by founders who have previously had multiple successful exits. Extend simplifies the technology stack for the product and shipping protection industries.
About the Role:
As Legal Counsel, you’ll report directly to Extend’s General Counsel and be the third lawyer at the company, involved in the day-to-day business and operations of a fast-paced tech company. In this role, you will be a key contributor to the legal team and company as a whole.
You will work on a wide array of legal matters, from negotiating and drafting commercial contracts to analyzing regulatory, intellectual property, employment and international issues and assisting with general corporate matters and strategic transactions.
As you take on novel, complex issues, refine legal processes and collaborate on cross-functional projects, you will have broad exposure, strategically advising revenue, marketing, HR, programs, finance, engineering and products teams, as well as senior leadership.
This is a role for a highly motivated attorney, who is proactive and passionate about problem-solving and finding business solutions. If you are looking to build a strong foundation for an in-house legal career and be part of a hardworking and fun team, we’d love to talk with you!
What You Will Do:
- Provide legal support for corporate and commercial transactions.
- Independently lead contract drafting and negotiations for a variety of commercial contracts and complex matters.
- Build and scale the legal function.
- Drive public company readiness.
- Assist with the preparation and planning for board and committee meetings.
- Oversee and analyze/advise with respect to global corporate administration efforts, including compliance with international, federal and state laws, maintaining foreign and domestic entities, and executive compensation and stock administration.
- Advise on a multitude of issues across the company.
What We Are Looking For:
- J.D. degree from an A.B.A. accredited law school; and admitted and member in good standing of a state bar, preferably New York or California.
- 2+ years at a top law firm with a preference for some previous in-house experience.
- Ability to multitask, problem solve, prioritize, think critically and exercise judgment.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Willingness to go above and beyond to achieve results while setting high standards and aiming for continuous improvement.
- Excitement about working cross-functionally and on projects that are new and/or unfamiliar.
Expected Pay Range: $160,000 - $200,000 per year salaried*
*The target base salary range for this position is listed above. Individual salaries are determined based on a number of factors including, but not limited to, work location and job-related knowledge, skills and experience.
Life at Extend:
- Working with a great team from diverse backgrounds in a collaborative and supportive environment.
- Competitive salary based on experience, with full medical and dental & vision benefits.
- Stock in an early-stage startup growing quickly.
- Very generous, flexible paid time off policy.
- 401(k) with Financial Guidance from Morgan Stanley.