We’re a fast-growing SAAS tech company providing privacy and security protections to consumers around the world. We build and operate services that are easy to use, fast, and secure. We've been in business for more than 11 years, we’re highly profitable, growing, and actively hiring.
- Large customer base worldwide, which brings many challenges and opportunities. We have millions of users who rely on our service 24/7/365 for a broad range of use-cases. Excellence in operations is therefore core to our business.
- Successful business in a fast-growing industry. We are a leader in a fragmented market and are growing quickly both because the industry is expanding and because we are gaining market share. We have sufficient financial resources to tackle large challenges for the long term.
- Highly skilled team using efficient processes.
- Meritocratic culture with fast decision-making.
About the Marketing Attribution and Customer Engagement Tribe
Our team supports all of the platforms and services that enable the Marketing Tribe at ExpressVPN to engage with customers, whether they be future, past or present. The team’s customers are:
- The Marketing Tribe; a group of over 100 marketing professionals in all disciplines, from SEO, Affiliate Marketing, PPC, TV and Radio
- Affiliates and Partners; A diverse set of external users that rely on us to be reliable, helpful and trustworthy partners We’re able to deliver insights that help them grow their own business as well as ours.
We are accountable for delivering:
- Web products and services to acquire, retain, and regain customers.
- Tools and services for customer relationship management, enabling marketers to communicate with customers across all apps and media.
- Tools and services for content management for our website and other media.
- Sales attribution tools and services.
- Services for customer support agents. We provide them with tools for interacting with our customer database (aka our “Backend UI”)
- Split testing services to allow continuous improvements across all our communications and marketing activities. They rely on us for appropriately anonymized data.
- Mission critical data processing that enables the Marketing tribe to increase their budgets with confidence and make sure our partners are reliably rewarded for their efforts.
Our responsibilities include:
- Working with other data teams to build and operate data platform services, including defining and tracking its SLA.
- Guiding various engineering teams to design models and schemas of the data to be fed into the platform, making sure they can be processed in a scalable way and used by analysts efficiently.
- Guiding data analysts on the use of the data platform.
- Building libraries/modules and reference implementations of data ingesters on several common tech stacks.
- Partnering with other teams on projects to build data engineering solutions such as for churn-prediction, payment fraud management, and other company-wide challenges.
Other notes about our team:
- Our tech stack currently is mostly AWS Redshift, BigQuery, Spark, Airflow and Tableau, and we imagine it will evolve significantly over time.
- We intend to have a range of engineering roles on the team, covering people with backgrounds in software development, infrastructure operations, and data science.
Responsibilities of this position
This is a newly created position to become the leader of this team. The company’s data pipelines and responsible engineers are currently spread across multiple teams. Your joining the company will mark the beginning of a dedicated data engineering team to support processing the enormous amount of data we collect through all of our marketing properties. Your responsibilities will include:
- Create the hiring plan for your team world-wide, design plans for assessing candidates, work with our recruiting-team to source and test candidates, hire and onboard new staff. We’re currently very much under-staffed. You need to grow the team significantly.
- Be the people leader for all members of the team. You hire, train, motivate, assign responsibilities, and hold people accountable. You will compare actual versus expected deliverables at high frequencies, and exchange actionable feedback.
- Articulate a strategic vision beyond just Marketing data, helping define best practices for cataloging and processing data at scale and making it available to internal and external stakeholders.
- Design processes, document them very clearly, measuring their metrics, and improving them.
- Be able to perform many of the duties of your team members. Be able to lead by example and be a credible advisor for all roles on your team.
Desired skills and experience
- Be excellent at Data Engineering.
- Extensive experience operating large scale data pipelines and databases
- Extensive experience designing and implementing complicated ETL jobs
- Expert in SQL
- Experience in stream processing using tools like AWS Kinesis or Kafka
- Experience in big data analytic frameworks like Hadoop or Spark (optional)
- Experience in writing automated tests
- Enjoy managing people and be very good at it. That means
- you’ve had several direct reports for at least two years.
- you’ve demonstrated the ability to develop a team including hiring, coaching and mentoring of team members
- Be an experienced agile project manager.
- Requirements gathering and solution architecture. That means
- you’ve worked with multiple stakeholders to draw out requirements and define use cases
- you have a proven ability to assess uses cases and requirements, then design suitable solution architectures
- Strong English written and verbal communication skills.
What we offer
- Challenging work in a fun and collaborative environment
- Attractive compensation and time-off benefits
- Full-time employment with flexible working hours
- Team lunches and company events every quarter
Note: Please upload your resume as a PDF and do not include any salary or compensation information in it.