Expanse protects the world’s most important organizations by discovering risks on the Internet no one else can find. Our customers comprise more than 10% of the routable Internet and rely on our products to discover, manage, and secure their global Internet assets. Born from DARPA, Expanse was founded in 2012 and is backed by more than $135M in funding.
The Chief of Staff / Director of Operations will coordinate the activities of the CEO and executive team to develop and execute company strategy. More than any other position, this role is directly responsible for the maintenance of focus and common purpose within our leadership team.
This position should expect high autonomy, with dotted line accountability to the CEO and formal reporting into the VP Finance & Operations, alongside other operations team leads (Finance, Biz Ops, Accounting / Legal / Sales Ops).
The Chief of Staff / Director of Operations will execute three mandates above others:
- Enable the CEO.
- Organize the executive team.
- Channel leadership intent via internal communications.
What You’ll Do
- Enable the CEO (estimated 40% of time)
- This role will serve as an extension of CEO capacity to handle internal and external responsibilities, sharing accountability for the requirements of leading a growth stage technology company. These will include: preparation for key meetings and events alongside the Executive Assistant, drafting sensitive communications, making judgment calls on time usage, framing decisions for delegation, and providing feedback on decisions presented for CEO consideration.
- Organize the executive team (estimated 40% of time)
- The Chief of Staff will establish the operating rhythm for the executive team, including leadership of the company’s strategic planning process (in concert with the financial planning process). Follow-through on this responsibility will require continuous channeling of exec team focus toward key priorities, shaping the agenda of weekly staff meetings and quarterly/annual offsites toward this end.
- Channel leadership intent via internal communications (estimated 20% of time)
- Full deployment of the company’s strategy requires consistent messaging and accountability driven to all corners of the company. The Chief of Staff will be directly responsible for the consistent evangelizing of company priorities in public channels and forums: chiefly, our weekly update emails and all hands meetings, as well as our annual offsite and semi-annual awards presentations.
Key Candidate Attributes
- Outstanding empathy. You naturally foster understanding amongst all stakeholders.
- Facility with ideas. You practice concise and resonant communication.
- Leadership exposure. You know the challenge of motivating others in the face of uncertainty.
- Experience in tough conditions. You see virtue in challenge and don’t lose resolve.
- Career alignment. Your purpose is served by exposure to CEO / leadership team dynamics.
Skills and Experience
- Refined organizational and project management instincts.
- Practiced in problem solving frameworks and facilitation.
- Sense of urgency and eye for detail.
- 6+ years total experience, potentially including:
- Startup experience with leadership responsibilities (operations, PM, etc.).
- Consulting, military, or business school.
- Corporate strategy or planning roles.
- Investment banking, private equity, and venture capital.
- 100% coverage of employee healthcare benefits (Medical, Dental, Vision)
- 60% coverage for dependent healthcare benefits
- Flexible PTO + 8 company holidays
- Company sponsored parental leave
- 401k Plan
- Opportunities for professional development to attend conferences, classes, and workshops
- $75 every quarter as discretionary team building stipend
- $50 every month in cell phone reimbursement
- $65 every month for your wellness: to cover costs of gyms, courses, and other activities
- $300, one time, to customize your desk space
- Pre-tax commuter, HSA, & FSA benefits
- Stocked kitchen + catered lunch and dinner
- On-site activities such as Lunch and Learns, Speaker Series, Game Night, and Trivia Night
- Company-wide events including team building, holiday party, and offsites
Refer a Friend
- Send your most talented friends our way. If we hire one, you'll get $1,000 even if you're not an Expanse employee. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more!
Expanse is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex or gender (including pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, transgender status), medical condition, HIV/AIDS or Hepatitis C status, marital status, military or veteran status, political activities, affiliations, citizenship, or any other characteristic or class protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation in the application or recruiting process due to a disability, please contact us at email@example.com.