Expanse protects the world’s most important organizations by discovering risks on the Internet no one else can find. Our customers comprise more than 10% of the routable Internet and rely on our products to discover, manage, and secure their global Internet assets. Born from DARPA, Expanse was founded in 2012 and is backed by more than $135M in funding.
Expanse’s global collections architecture yields the best and most detailed global view into the device layer of the public Internet. The Cyber Research team leverages datasets ranging in size from gigabytes to petabytes in unconventional ways to produce cybersecurity insights. Cyber Research also conducts its own unique collection and analysis in support of special projects.
Our work is varied, exciting, and meaningful. We rapidly prototype new capabilities to address specific customer needs. We improve our Internet intelligence through other, unique forms of data collection. We develop, maintain, and use our own tools to perform threat hunting. We stand up infrastructure and conduct our own vulnerability research of customer networks.
This role can be based in any of our locations.
What You’ll Do
- Protect our customers against malicious actors on the Internet
- Develop software to better leverage our datasets in the various missions of threat hunting, vulnerability discovery, and as-yet undetermined missions
- Work directly with customers and our Commercial Mission Operations (CMO) team to address specific customer inquiries and provide subject matter expertise
- Grow our library of datasets and integrate new capabilities into our tools
- Develop novel techniques and approaches for understanding the internet and characterizing data for insights relevant to internal stakeholders and customers
- Build prototypes that generate insights for customers and help to operationalize them
- Discover the emergent properties of the internet so we start to expect the unexpected
- Educate your team and share best practices and technical expertise
- You’ve earned a degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or other technical discipline (or you have equivalent professional experience)
- You have professional experience working with large datasets and a high level of comfort with SQL and database operations
- You have programming experience and a high level of comfort with Python
- You have a high-level understanding of computer networks and of how the Internet works
- You enjoy collaborating with teammates to accomplish shared projects and you are also able to achieve individual goals with minimal supervision
- You are comfortable identifying, proposing, and subsequently taking projects from inception to implementation
- You are able to concisely communicate complex technical concepts to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Not required: Experience in threat hunting is preferred but not required for success in this role
- 100% coverage of employee healthcare benefits (Medical, Dental, Vision)
- 60% coverage for dependent healthcare benefits
- Unlimited PTO + 8 company holidays
- Company sponsored parental leave
- 401k Plan
- Opportunities for professional development to attend conferences, classes, and workshops
- $75 every quarter as discretionary team building stipend
- $50 every month in cell phone reimbursement
- $65 every month for your wellness to cover costs of gyms, courses and other activities
- $300, one time, to customize your desk space
- Pre-tax commuter, HSA, & FSA benefits
- Onsite gym and bike storage
- Snacks and beverages in the office + lunch stipend
- Company-wide events including team building, holiday party, and offsites
Refer a Friend
- Send your most talented friends our way. If we hire one, you'll get $1,000 even if you're not an Expanse employee. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more!