Expanse protects the world’s most important organizations by discovering risks on the Internet no one else can find. Our customers comprise more than 10% of the routable Internet and rely on our products to discover, manage, and secure their global Internet assets. Born from DARPA, Expanse was founded in 2012 and is backed by more than $135M in funding.
Expanse is looking for a staff-level front-end engineer to help us efficiently and effectively improve our feature velocity, a goal that requires technical knowledge & execution, critical process thinking, and consensus-building skills.
What You'll do
- Evaluate our current plans and proposals for evolving Expanse’s front-end platform. You’ll propose, build consensus on, and enact any necessary changes to our technical roadmap.
- Lead our front-end platform modernization project and see that it is completed, adjusting requirements and plans along the way to incrementally release improvements.
- Own and drive a part of the long-term technical roadmap in collaboration with staff engineers across the company as part of a platform architecture working group.
- Be a core member of a feature team, contributing to team throughput on roadmap goals; work with different teams as necessary.
- Mentor other engineers:
- Impart best practices through code review and pair programming.
- Recommend training or learning resources as necessary.
- Be a mentor to other team-members informally as well as through our formal Engineering Mentorship Program.
- Partner closely with product management and UX design to shape requirements and bootstrap new projects.
- Initially spend the bulk of your time coding and contributing to the code base, eventually scaling back as you take on more technical leadership and mentorship activities across teams.
- 10+ years of engineering experience, with at least 2 years spent as a technical lead or staff engineer. We believe that there is no substitute in this position for significant time spent in a leadership role.
- Extensive practical experience with at least one major front-end framework such as React, Vue, or Angular in a production system.
- Experience owning and driving front-end system architecture design, implementation, and evolution.
- Experience working on and supporting systems of scale, including deep understanding of:
- data volume and caching concerns
- impact of front-end requests on back-end systems
- impact of API and database query performance on front-end experience
- page load and time-to-interactive performance metrics as well as contributing factors
- deployment strategies and tooling
- design choices and best practices for all of the above
- Experience with and proven ability to technically lead large, complex projects and teams, including building functional relationships with work partners in product management and UX design.
- Ability to foster technical maturity in a team through institution of standards and practices as well as direct mentorship.
- A reputation as a strong collaborator—this role and level explicitly require the ability to build a unified direction across stakeholders and partner teams. The ideal candidate is able to clearly articulate technical concepts to technical and non-technical audiences, communicate constructively with colleagues, executives, and customers, and strategically adapt their communication style, frequency, and medium for maximum effectiveness based on the audience, the topic, and the business environment.
- Ability to execute in, and through, a team on a large body of work by breaking it down into digestible pieces and parallelizing effort where feasible, then working with engineering and product management to orchestrate the effort efficiently.
- 100% coverage of employee healthcare benefits (Medical, Dental, Vision)
- 60% coverage for dependent healthcare benefits
- Unlimited PTO + 8 company holidays
- Company sponsored parental leave
- 401k Plan
- Opportunities for professional development to attend conferences, classes, and workshops
- $75 every quarter as discretionary team building stipend
- $50 every month in cell phone reimbursement
- $65 every month for your wellness to cover costs of gyms, courses and other activities
- $300, one time, to customize your desk space
- Pre-tax commuter, HSA, & FSA benefits
- Stocked kitchen + catered lunch and dinner
- On-site activities such as Lunch and Learns, Speaker Series, Game Night, and Trivia Night
- Company-wide events including team building, holiday party, and offsites
Refer a Friend
- Send your most talented friends our way. If we hire one, you'll get $1,000 even if you're not an Expanse employee. Please email email@example.com to learn more!
Expanse is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex or gender (including pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, transgender status), medical condition, HIV/AIDS or Hepatitis C status, marital status, military or veteran status, political activities, affiliations, citizenship, or any other characteristic or class protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation in the application or recruiting process due to a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.