*We will consider candidates in San Mateo, Santa Barbara, or US-based remote with working hours compatible with Pacific Standard Time (PST). Some travel may be required.*
We are looking for an outstanding senior or lead research scientist who wants to be part of our mission to use physiological and behavioral data collected from wearables and smartphones to infer changes in health status and disease progression over time. The ideal candidate has a commitment to helping people improve their lives, an interdisciplinary background, and experience designing studies using real-world data. If you thrive on autonomy and open-ended challenges, and are motivated to make a difference for people, this is the perfect opportunity to take your career to the next level.
This role will lead the design of technology-based research studies using real-world data to improve health outcomes. Our work lies at the intersection of several diverse fields, including epidemiology, health outcomes, and digital health. enterprise delivery, and commercial teams. In this role, you will be designing studies using real-world evidence derived from cross-sectional, prospective, and time-series data from person generated health data including digital wearables, sensors, surveys, clinical and claim data, to capture changes and understand health status and disease progression over time. The ideal candidate will have a keen interest and experience with digital outcomes, wearables and sensors, deep knowledge of clinical research study design, and feel comfortable as the study expert executing in a highly collaborative, fast paced matrix environment. We value problem-solving skills and an attitude towards learning. We seek excellent communication and accountability, people who think people first.
- Lead the study design for assigned client-driven clinical study projects
- With a clear and comprehensive grasp of the disease and therapeutic area by reviewing the literature and other health data sources, you will create a study design that scientifically meets the objectives and outcomes of the study using real-world evidence rooted in digital measures and sensors in a decentralized format on our platform.
- Collaborate with biopharma and other clients to understand their specific needs and how best to address them using real-world evidence, objectives, outcomes, and measures.
- Own the development and finalization of all study documents, including the study concept, protocol, screener, case report form, informed consent, and other IRB submission materials.
- Collaborate with internal study operations teams throughout the design and execution process
- Own and be accountable for clinical aspects of study analysis and reporting for assigned clinical study client projects.
- Collaborate with the biostatistics and data science teams to prepare statistical analysis plans and formulate analyses that generate clinically meaningful study results for our clients.
- Conduct descriptive and endpoint analyses for client projects and internal research studies.
- Prepare client deliverables, co-author, and prepare abstracts, posters, and presentations for conferences and manuscripts in peer-reviewed medical journals.
- Synthesize and communicate research results and recommendations to clients and cross-functional team members.
- Create and contribute to study design guides and templates
- Drive cross-functional initiatives around improving study design processes
- Conceptualize and lead internal research initiatives
- Serve as a real-world evidence and digital health outcomes expert in cross-functional strategic company initiatives
- Demonstrated experience - PhD and 2+ years of work experience - in one or more of epidemiology, data science, health services research, public health, psychology, or related discipline. This is a senior associate level position; good technical skills are a must, and experience is a plus.
- Excellent English: Our business language
- High level of motivation and willingness to learn new ideas and new tools
- Strong team player: Our environment is important to us, all of our work is teamwork
- Technical depth: Clinical research design best practices, demonstrated experience and understanding of real world evidence studies, experience and deep knowledge of digital sensors and wearables, digital health outcomes, validated PROs, understanding of statistics (e.g. significance tests, source of biases, mixed effect models)
- Proficient in statistical software (e.g., R, Python, SAS, Stata)
- Depth and breadth of experience in different working environments (pharma, startups), other healthcare organizations; client facing work experience.
- History of writing and publishing in peer-reviewed journals
- We value curiosity and problem-solving skills: Our work lies at the intersection of many diverse and evolving fields including clinical research, signal processing, and machine learning.
- We seek great adaptability and accountability
- Passion and initiative for helping people improve their lives, for example past or present involvement in volunteer, collegial or community activities or any other activities that show you’re the type of person who takes action in making the world a better place
Evidation measures health in everyday life and enables anyone to participate in groundbreaking research and health programs. Built upon a foundation of user privacy and control over permissioned health data, Evidation's Achievement platform is trusted by millions of individuals—generating data with unprecedented speed, scale, and rigor. We partner with leading healthcare companies to understand health and disease outside the clinic walls. Guided by our mission to enable and empower everyone to participate in better health outcomes, Evidation is working to bring people individualized, proactive, and accessible healthcare—faster.
- Put individuals first
- Challenge each other and state your good intent
- Go fast while maintaining quality and integrity
- Work to win together
OUR BENEFITS & PERKS
- Competitive salary + performance bonus + equity
- Medical, dental, and vision benefits with generous company contribution
- Company-provided life and disability insurance
- 401(k) with company contribution
- Wellness and wearable device reimbursements, mental health benefits, wellness programs
- Employee advisory committee focused around diversity, equity, inclusion, and belongingness
- Distributed teams and flexible work hours
- Take time when you need it: 13 paid company holidays + flexible time off
- Paid parental leave
- Mobile phone, home internet, and home office furniture reimbursements
- Apple laptop and your choice of monitor + noise cancelling headphones
- LinkedIn Learning and other professional growth opportunities
- Evidation Research. https://evidation.com/research/.
- Achievement App. https://www.myachievement.com/.
- Deering S, Grade MM, Uppal JK, et al. Accelerating Research With Technology: Rapid Recruitment for a Large-Scale Web-Based Sleep Study. JMIR Res Protoc 2019; 8: e10974.
- Kumar S, Tran JL, Lee W, Bradshaw B, Foschini L, Juusola J. Longitudinal Data from Activity Trackers Show that Those with Greater Inconsistency in Activity Levels are More Likely to Develop More Severe Depression. Value Health 2018; 21: S191.
- Ramirez E, Marinsek N, Bradshaw B, Kanard R, Foschini L. Continuous Digital Assessment for Weight Loss Surgery Patients. Digit Biomark 2020; 4: 13–20.
- Chen R, Jankovic F, Marinsek N, et al. Developing Measures of Cognitive Impairment in the Real World from Consumer-Grade Multimodal Sensor Streams. Proceedings of the 25th ACM SIGKDD International Conference on Knowledge Discovery & Data Mining. 2019. DOI:10.1145/3292500.3330690.
- Developing Digital Measures from Person-Generated Health Data | AI & Pharma | Luca Foschini. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWH_yFzHJ30