Everlaw is looking for a Senior Data Scientist with an end-to-end toolkit plus a willingness to deeply engage with the product and business. Data is at the core of our legal discovery platform, and both the volume and use cases present unique challenges for us to wrangle with. As a data scientist, you’ll model complex user behaviors, design metrics for nuanced outcomes, and develop the quantitative theories that drive internal decision making. You’ll also be sitting on a centralized data team composed of other talented analysts and engineers. As a team, we highly value egoless collaboration, iterative problem solving, and innate curiosity (aka asking a lot of questions).
At Everlaw, our mission is to promote justice by illuminating truth. Our company culture is open and vibrant and we’re committed to the professional growth of our team members, offering an annual learning and development stipend and regular check-ins with managers regarding career goals. If you’re looking for a place that values passion, integrity, thinking big, and a desire to learn, we’d love to hear from you! Think you’re missing some of the skills and are hesitant to apply? We do not believe in the ‘perfect’ candidate and encourage you to apply if you feel you can bring value to our team. Learn more about Life at Everlaw.
This is a full-time position based in our Oakland, California office with a hybrid work schedule: in office M/W/Th with the option to work from home Tu/Fr.
- We want you to feel like part of the team early on! Our onboarding process will integrate you into the company with informative sessions on our product, policies, processes, and team structure and goals.
- We’re excited for you to learn, grow, and contribute right away! We trust that you’ll bring experience and knowledge that will uplift and uplevel the team, but we don’t expect you to know everything on Day 1.
In your role, you'll...
- Become product certified! You will learn the ins and outs of the Everlaw platform through a series of training modules.
- Familiarize yourself with our technologies, workflows, and codebase through extensive training and product certification.
- Design metrics that are faithful and precise, while helping the business understand how to drive those metrics.
- Create predictive models in order to better understand user/business behavior, forecast future performance, and create meaningful classification.
- Surface reusable datasets as a way to operationalize your analytical research and provide building blocks for other data scientists to leverage.
- Propose and prototype novel ways to leverage different datasets in our environments.
- Collaborate with other analysts and data scientists in order to share knowledge, set best practices, and develop general frameworks around how we approach our common analytical questions.
- At least 5 years of experience as a Data Scientist or similar role or at least 3 years of experience and a MS/PhD in a quantitative field.
- Expertise in a scientific computing language such as Python, R, or Julia.
- Expertise in SQL and wrangling data on a relational database.
- Strong foundation of statistical methods and probability theory.
- Track record in working directly with stakeholder teams to apply data science methodologies against ambiguous business problems, such as but not limited to: shipping predictive models, designing new metrics, and presenting exploratory research.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, especially in translating ambiguous business requirements into an analysis plan.
- Deep curiosity around product and the business, including a track record of building strong product expertise as a data scientist.
- You are authorized to work in the United States without current or future employer immigration sponsorship.
- Experience working with common open source analytics tools such as Airflow or DBT.
- Experience working with distributed processing technologies such as Spark or MapReduce.
- Familiar with Git or a similar DVCS.
- Comfort working in a cloud environment, such as AWS.
- The expected salary range for this role is between $175,000 - $210,000. The final offered salary will be dependent upon many factors including the candidate’s experience and skills. The base pay range is subject to change in the future.
- Substantial equity
- 401k with company matching
- Health, dental, and vision
- Flexible Spending Accounts for health and dependent care expenses
- Paid parental leave and sick leave
- Seventeen paid vacation days plus ten bankable federal holidays
- Four “Everlawlidays” that are designated days off for the whole company
- Annual allocation for Learning & Development opportunities and applicable professional membership dues
- Company-sponsored life and disability insurance
- Work in Uptown Oakland, just steps from the BART line and dozens of restaurants and walking distance to Lake Merritt
- Flexible work-from-home days on Tuesdays and Fridays
- Monthly home internet reimbursement
- Enjoy a wide variety of snacks and beverages in the office
- Bond over company-wide out-of-the-box events and fun activities with your team
- Time off for company-sponsored volunteer events and 4 paid hours per quarter to volunteer at a charitable organization of your choice
- Take advantage of learning and career development opportunities
- Ranked #9 on Glassdoor's Best Places to Work 2023 for US small and medium companies
- One of Wealthfront’s 2021 Career Launching Companies, and ranked #2 on the “2022 Bay Area Best Places to Work” list by the San Francisco Business Times and the Silicon Valley Business Journal
- One of Fast Company’s World's Most Innovative Companies for 2022 and proud contributor of free ediscovery resources to benefit the greater good through “Everlaw for Good”