Ethos was built to make it faster and easier to get life insurance for the next million families. Our approach blends industry expertise, technology, and the human touch to find you the right policy to protect your loved ones. Using predictive analytics, we are able to transform a traditionally multi-week process into a modern digital experience for our users that can take just minutes!
Our investors include General Catalyst, Sequoia Capital, Accel Partners, Google Ventures, SoftBank, and the investment vehicles of Jay-Z, Kevin Durant, and Robert Downey Jr. We are listed in Forbes’ Top 50 Fintechs of 2020. And for exciting news about our growth check out Life-Insurance Startup Ethos Valued at More Than $2.7 Billion. We are scaling quickly and looking for passionate people to protect the next million families!
About the Role
We are looking for an ambitious self-starter with a strong quantitative background to dive into large datasets to provide insights and guide decision-making while mentoring other analysts and data scientists. This is an exciting opportunity to join a team in a huge growth area for Ethos. This role will put you in the middle of the action and require you to solve the most complex, interesting challenges of a rapidly-scaling startup. You will work cross-functionally across Marketing, Product, Operations, Sales, Partnerships, and Risk to provide visibility and understanding into the performance of our business and empower business leaders to make key decisions with data and analytical rigor. You will collaborate with leaders, product managers, and engineers to build scalable and robust systems to grow and maintain the powerful data engine that is core to our data-driven approach at Ethos. You will solve challenging prediction and statistical inference problems in underwriting, marketing, customer experience, product testing, and much more.
Our Data Science team specializes in predictive modeling, causal inference, and mathematical optimization. We apply these skills across the business to help delight our customers, fuel our growth, improve operational efficiencies, evaluate risk, and improve life insurance accessibility to protect more families. If you have a proven background in statistics and enjoy working in an environment that is fast-paced, mission-driven, and impact-oriented, read on and please apply!
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Build and deploy models to identify causal impacts and predict future outcomes
- Improve the speed and efficiency of our growth by collaborating with Marketing, Product, Operations, Sales, Partnerships, and Risk teams
- Act as a strategic thought partner and be the go-to data expert in statistical analyses and models
- Gather new features for modeling
- Conduct exploratory data analysis
- Design and analyze experiments
- Communicate findings and insights to key stakeholders and leadership team members to take action based on your insights and recommendations
- Collaborate with data, machine learning, and application engineers to put your work in production
- Train and mentor the next generation of analysts and data scientists at Ethos
Qualifications and Skills:
- PhD in Statistics preferred
- 3+ years of academic or industry research experience
- Deep understanding of probability
- Extensive knowledge of statistical methods for estimation, including GLMs, survival analysis, and time series
- Expertise in experimental design and analysis
- Expertise in Bayesian multilevel modeling
- Experience with Bayesian networks preferred
- Experience with SQL preferred
- Experience with the Python or R preferred
- Strong oral and written communication skills and ability to collaborate with cross-functional partners
- You are stimulated by solving complex problems
- You enjoy getting in the weeds but do not lose sight of the bigger picture
- You can punch above your weight when needed but also appreciate that no job is too small, no matter your title!
Everyone is welcome at Ethos. We are an equal opportunity employer who values diversity and inclusion and look for applicants who understand, embrace and thrive in a multicultural world. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the SF Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider employment for qualified applicants with arrests and conviction records.