Ethos was built to make it faster and easier to get life insurance for the next million families. Our approach blends industry expertise, technology, and the human touch to find you the right policy to protect your loved ones. Using predictive analytics, we are able to transform a traditionally multi-week process into a modern digital experience for our users that can take just minutes!
Our investors include General Catalyst, Sequoia Capital, Accel Partners, Google Ventures, SoftBank, and the investment vehicles of Jay-Z, Kevin Durant, and Robert Downey Jr. We are listed in Forbes’ Top 50 Fintechs of 2020. And for exciting news about our growth check out Life-Insurance Startup Ethos Valued at More Than $2.7 Billion. We are scaling quickly and looking for passionate people to protect the next million families!
About the Role
As the Design Director, Branding at Ethos, you’ll help craft an approachable, memorable, modern, fun brand — shaping our new and refreshing approach to a centuries-old industry. You’ll help refresh and improve all 360 degrees of our brand language, establishing new standards and systems, conceptualizing initiatives for brand and marketing, and executing assets across a variety of deliverables and mediums directed at consumers and business partners. Together, we’ll evolve and refine our brand POV and visuals, and define our creative team’s role in communicating to current and future audiences.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Work with the Creative Director to lead our 360° brand design discipline — conceptually and procedurally — developing and improving a holistic brand system and ensuring thoughtful and creative execution across all channels
- Develop creative solutions that prioritize impact for our core audiences
- Guide and influence creative output, ensuring high-caliber design that aligns with our brand vision
- Partner with Marketing, Strategists, and Writers to facilitate a seamless process while identifying opportunities to build on our success
- Collaborate across disciplines to continue evolving and improving our internal process, ensuring cohesive and strategic branding
- Ensure a consistent and cohesive brand language across all channels by collaborating across departments (Creative, Marketing, Product)
- Build strong relationships with numerous departments to foster trust and confidence, serving as a creative expert
- Mentor designers, nurturing the team's talents and strengths through training and support
- Engage in recruitment to help facilitate team growth
- Stay connected to the latest standards and trends in the visual design field
- Contribute thought leadership to marketing efforts and high profile brand initiatives
Qualifications & Skills:
- BFA in Graphic Design or equivalent
- A minimum of 8 years of experience within 360° branding agencies or equivalent, conceiving and crafting visual identity systems from start to finish
- Resides in greater New York City metropolitan area
- Solid foundation in graphic design, typography, and art direction
- Exceptional design aesthetic: memorable, unique, and innovative when needed
- Ability to think across a wide range of categories spanning dozens of touch points
- Determined and ambitious, leading with a clear point of view
- Passion for critical analysis, strategic problem-solving, with a curious and entrepreneurial mindset
- Effective communication skills and a natural style of building relationships
- Demonstrated track record of managing small creative teams, motivating and leading while supporting the professional development of young talent
- Highly proficient in Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop); familiar with Figma
Everyone is welcome at Ethos. We are an equal opportunity employer who values diversity and inclusion and look for applicants who understand, embrace and thrive in a multicultural world. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the SF Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider employment for qualified applicants with arrests and conviction records.