Ethos was built to make it faster and easier to get life insurance for the next million families. Our approach blends industry expertise, technology, and the human touch to find you the right policy to protect your loved ones. Using predictive analytics, we are able to transform a traditionally multi-week process into a modern digital experience for our users that can take just minutes!
Our investors include General Catalyst, Sequoia Capital, Accel Partners, Google Ventures, SoftBank, and the investment vehicles of Jay-Z, Kevin Durant, and Robert Downey Jr. We are listed in Forbes’ Top 50 Fintechs of 2020. And for exciting news about our growth check out Life-Insurance Startup Ethos Valued at More Than $2.7 Billion. We are scaling quickly and looking for passionate people to protect the next million families!
About the Role
We are seeking a Senior Manager, Corporate Accounting to lead corporate accounting at Ethos. This is a critical Finance leadership role that will interface across various teams, senior levels of the company, as well as the external auditors.
This role will oversee a growing Corporate Accounting team and own the critical and highly visible day to day accounting processes around the general ledger. The Senior Manager, Corporate Accounting will drive performance by setting goals and development plans and foster an environment to support those goals by providing ongoing feedback and conducting performance reviews, delivering accurate financial results in a high-growth, fast-paced environment, while scaling the Corporate accounting function to build a world class organization.
You will also support accounting research, draft accounting policies and memos, and provide technical support to members of the Finance and Accounting team. You will also be entrusted with supporting verbal and written communication with senior leadership and external auditors for technical accounting, reporting, and accounting policies.
Overview of Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage month-end close accounting operations including – preparing and reviewing journal entries, account reconciliations, and consolidation process
- Review and perform monthly, quarterly, and annual flux analyses
- Prepare and review financial reporting packages, various management reports and other analyses
- Evaluate, improve, and implement accounting policies and controls
- Maintain accounting process documentation
- Drive process improvements through automation, streamlining and best practices to ensure an efficient close process
- Support new business initiatives through identification of accounting requirements, ensure implementation of financial controls and process and system solutions
- Manage annual audit, including preparation of the financial statements and supporting schedules
- Be a team leader and be willing to take on ad-hoc requests
Qualifications and Skills
- BA/BS degree in accounting, CPA preferred
- Minimum of 8 years of accounting experience (ideal candidate will have both Big 4 audit and corporate experience)
- Intermediate knowledge of SEC reporting requirements
- Experience as a people manager leading a team through a rapidly evolving work environment
- Proficiency with NetSuite and Microsoft Office products
- Must have the ability to execute multiple tasks and adhere to strict deadlines in a fast-paced, changing environment
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to interact effectively with all areas and levels of the company
- Have a proactive, assertive, and creative approach to problem solving
Everyone is welcome at Ethos. We are an equal opportunity employer who values diversity and inclusion and look for applicants who understand, embrace and thrive in a multicultural world. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the SF Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider employment for qualified applicants with arrests and conviction records.