Erasca is a clinical-stage precision oncology company focused on discovering, developing and commercializing medicines for the benefit of patients with cancer. Our programs take novel approaches to shutting down one of cancer’s most commonly mutated signaling cascades, the RAS/MAPK pathway, which affects approximately 5.5 million lives each year worldwide. The name “Erasca” has an important embedded meaning: it is a contraction of our audacious hope to “erase cancer” that drives our mission and everything that we do on behalf of patients with cancer.
Intern – Clinical Development
Erasca’s 2023 Summer Internship Program is a paid 8-10 week internship for a student looking for meaningful work experience in the biotechnology industry. We have designed the program to give interns hands-on project experience and the opportunity to develop professional skills and establish career networks and mentors.
A recent study has demonstrated that small-molecule inhibitors of SHP2, have potent preclinical efficacy against chordoma. In the FLAGSHP-1 study of ERAS-601, a small molecule SHP2 inhibitor, we have enrolled a few patients with chordoma who are being treated with ERAS-601 in combination with cetuximab (an EGFR inhibitor). Chordoma is a rare, slow growing tumor with a prognosis that is unique for each patient. Under mentorship of Director, Clinical Development, the intern will work in identifying key characteristics of chordoma including the etiology, risk factors, epidemiology, and treatments currently available. The intern will be responsible for summarizing the disease history of all patients with chordoma on study, as well as participating in the evaluation of the safety, tolerability, and efficacy of ERAS-601 in combination with cetuximab. The intern will participate in meetings with experts in the field of chordoma to learn more about the disease and work with them to evaluate the efficacy of the ERAS-601 combo in chordoma patients.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Gain hands on experience in drug development.
- Summarize disease history of patients on study.
- Perform medical review of patients.
- Identify key characteristics of tumor type of interest including the etiology, risk factors, epidemiology, and treatments currently available.
- Provide scientific support by interpreting safety and efficacy data, including collating, analyzing, reviewing, interpreting, and providing preliminary assessments and recommendations to support decision making.
- Participate in interactions and discussions with Key Opinion Leaders.
- Meet regularly with mentor to discuss progress, challenges, results, and future plans.
- Deliver an oral presentation at the conclusion of the project.
- Work will be performed remotely with frequent telecommunication; 40 hours per week.
- Perform all duties in keeping with the Company’s core values, policies and all applicable regulations.
Required Education and Experience and Desired Personal Attributes:
- Graduate student currently enrolled in a PhD program, Pharmacy or Medical school.
- Background in oncology preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to achieve goals and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong learning orientation, curiosity, and commitment to science and patients.
- Must be 18 years of age prior to scheduled start date.
- Must be legally authorized to work in the U.S for any employer. We currently do not offer visa sponsorship to interns.
- Must be able to commit to the full 8-10 week time frame.
- Must be currently enrolled in an accredited college or university.
- Frequent communication (talking/hearing).
- Regular sitting and reaching with arms.
- Vision requirements: close, distance, peripheral, color and depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Computer use: 95% of the time.
The anticipated salary for this position is $40.00 per hour, depending on education.
Along with our casual, collaborative, and fun work and the chance to make your mark in our mission to erase cancer, Erasca offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits package that includes: Paid Time Off, Holiday, and Sick Leave, Medical, Dental and Vision Plans, Short- and Long-Term Disability, Basic and Voluntary Life/AD&D Coverage, Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA, HSA, and Commute), Critical Illness and Accident Coverage, Pet Insurance, Employee Assistance Program, 401(k) Plan with Erasca contribution, and the opportunity to participate in an Employee Stock Purchase Program.
Erasca, Inc., is an Equal Opportunity Employer and takes pride in maintaining a diverse and inclusive environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of sex , race, religion, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, protected medical condition, genetic information, marital status, registered domestic partner status, age, sexual orientation, military and veteran status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law or ordinance or regulation.