It is an exciting, yet critical time for our teams at Equinox Media and we're looking for a highly motivated music-industry executive to help shape our music strategy and licensing practices as our teams bring new ways of connecting people to the communities and fitness that they love every day. You are our ideal teammate if you have 7-10 years of relevant music licensing experience gained at a leading law firm with a focused practice on music, advertising and technology and in-house within a music distributor, record label, publisher, or other company that focuses on the intersection of music, content and technology. You are someone who loves to wear multiple hats; legal counselor on our licensing contracts, business development executive with our music partners and a big-picture thinker and architect of our evolving music strategy.
In this position, you will lead the efforts in the areas described below and work closely with various departments across the company to manage and execute on a broad range of initiatives applicable to our platform. Our team embraces a true entrepreneurial spirit; operating with humility, collaboration, perseverance and care for one another. We strive to continually deliver the best results and focus on how every action taken helps push our company vision forward.
This position reports directly to the President of the Company and can be based in either the company's headquarters in New York City or in California.
This position's principal responsibilities and duties include:
- Lead our music-related legal, business affairs and operations function to support scaling music needs both domestically and internationally
- Analyze, review, draft and negotiate all music-related agreements to support ongoing and evolving music needs both within our content creation process and elsewhere within the business (e.g. partnership, marketing, distribution, performance, live events, etc.)
- Develop deep understanding and familiarity with existing music licensing deals, product restrictions, obligations and relationships to serve as primary day-to-day contact on any music licensing issues and questions that may arise
- Serve as the first point of contact across the business on all commercial needs and product development / innovations as it relates to the exploitation and integration of music
- Advise on all music copyright-related intellectual property rights issues and provide pragmatic, innovative and solution-oriented counsel on all music-related needs across the business, including copyright, technology/product, royalty, finance, regulatory and all related matters
- Advise and support music operations team to build out sophisticated and nimble music operations and reporting function. Must have the experience and enthusiasm to help build out a function largely from scratch and work collaboratively with various cross-functional teams to secure resources and find creative solutions to problems
- Own and evolve Equinox Media's music strategy
- J.D. from a top law school with exceptional academic credentials
- 7-10 years of relevant legal and business development experience in the music industry, including at least 3 years at a leading law firm with a focused practice on music, advertising and technology and in-house within a record label, music publisher, distributor or other company that focuses on the intersection of music, content and technology in roles of increasing responsibility
- Deep working knowledge of the music business and extensive experience with content creation and sync licenses
- Expertise on copyright law and legal issues relating to music licensing and digital distribution
- Excellent and efficient drafting skills with superior attention to detail
- Must be admitted, active and in good standing with the New York or California State bar
- Knowledge and enthusiasm of the fitness industry is a strong plus!
- Be energized by the challenges of serving a dynamic, hyper-growth company and able to simultaneously manage workloads, multiple client demands and shifting priorities within a fast-paced, rapidly evolving environment
- Have a practical, business-oriented approach to problem solving and be able to provide clear and concise commercial advise and creative solutions where necessary
- Be extremely bright but also have an EQ that matches your IQ, and the ability to engage effectively with all levels of employees and management and external partners
- Have excellent communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills
- Be highly analytical and have exceptional business and legal issue identification and problem-solving skills
- Be a strong and astute negotiator with impeccable judgment
- Be able to operate autonomously while being a team player who brings a positive, can-do attitude to the workplace and works collaboratively with all team members
- Be collegial, hard working, confident, a self-starter and have a passion for results.
At Equinox Plus, we believe that a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace makes us a more resilient company. We celebrate unique points of view & experiences across age, gender identity, race, sexual orientation, physical or mental ability & ethnicity in building the future of our digital business. We aren't just a company; we're a team vested in each other's successes. We value humility and a team approach at every level of the company. We want to inspire a workplace where individuals embrace their differences and similarities, where we are building products and experiences that inspire and improve people's lives to pursue fitness & health every day.