Equinox Media was formed with the aim of developing transformative technologies, media, and experiences that inspire and equip consumers to pursue fitness every day, harnessing the power of Equinox Group’s preeminent brands, talent, and geographic footprint. In March 2020, we debuted a first-of-its kind fitness platform powering two products: the Equinox Plus mobile app and the SoulCycle at-home bike. Equinox Plus provides access to expert guidance from industry-leading brands across modalities—wherever you are, whenever you’re ready. The world has yet to see a more powerful fitness collective, and this is just the beginning.
Reporting to the Chief Technology Officer, Samir Desai, the VP, Data & Platform Engineering will provide leadership, management and technical vision necessary to transform and lead Equinox Media’s Cloud, Data Platform & Data Science, Business Systems, Technology Operations & InfoSec teams. This includes ownership over the technical definition, architecture, and scaling as we enter one of the most pivotal growth years for our flagship product: Equinox+. In this role, you’ll see a direct impact between your work, company growth, and our members.
A successful VP at Equinox Media is a technically strong and business savvy leader, with a deep understanding of data and infrastructure systems as our business crosses a variety of consumer platforms from our at-Home SoulCycle Bike and retail channels, sports sciences and wearables, content distribution and streaming, to scaling out the systems to support user growth.
As one of the leaders on the Executive team, this position is expected to lead with excellence -- they will shape the technology strategy and oversee all of our data and platform engineering efforts to scale, developing and maintaining an innovative engineering culture. Our team embraces a true entrepreneurial spirit; operating with a sense of pride, perseverance and care for one another. We strive to continually deliver the best results and focus on how every action taken helps push our mission forward.
Your Work and Impact:
Technical Vision and Organizational Success
- Set the vision and strategy for data and platform engineering solutions that fuels the exponential growth of our business in the coming years
- Translate technology investments into measurable business value and outcomes
- Provide purpose, context and direction to the Directors and Managers on the team
- Set up scalable tools and infrastructure direction while optimizing total cost of ownership
- Oversee the organizational structure for engineering teams across machine learning & data science, devOps, infrastructure, business systems, tech operations, and infosec
- Analyze new technological developments and adopt those that can help the company improve efficiency and member satisfaction
- Manage multiple large architecture functional areas through functional leaders
- Set technical standards, testing standards, operating principles for team members, and Agile and SDLC processes
- Ensure quality assurance infrastructure can scale to meet the breadth of development activity that aligns the business's growth plans
- Oversee Engineering and R&D budgets and continuously find ways to optimize infrastructure spend and resource management
Hiring, Retaining, and Fostering an Inclusive Engineering Culture
- Influence a culture of diversity & inclusion and create an environment of experimentation, learning, empathy and belonging
- Create an innovative engineering and technology culture, characterized as highly collaborative, execution-focused, highly productive, technologically excellent, and member-first oriented
- A catalyst for recruitment and growth, while overseeing the engineering teams across, data engineering, machine learning & data science, devOps, infrastructure, business systems, tech operations, and infosec
- Coach and provide management guidance to high performant senior engineering leaders
- Vendor and budget Management: Ability to successfully create productive relationships with software and consulting vendors to do staff augmentation and manage budget.
- Acting as a career mentor to team members
- Experience managing a distributed engineering organization and creating continuity of engineering practices across multiple offices
- Work with your engineering team and leads to plan and track development of all projects through delivery to production
- Use data and feedback from participants and peers to drive continuous optimization of cross functional team structures and software development processes
- Collaborate with partner company teams to assure that we’re building scalable, available, fault tolerant software
- Passion for data driven decision making and continuous process improvement
- Personal passion for fitness, wellness and/or fit-tech
More About You:
- A successful track record working as an engineering leader across multiple teams in a high growth tech organization
- Experience with modern distributed data technologies (Glue, Athena, Kinesis, Snowflake), relational database systems (PostgreSQL, MySQL) and and ML engineering systems (Sagemaker, Databricks)
- Experience with modern and modular platform engineering concepts including Serverless, Shared Nothing, CI/CD, SRE, DevOps, Containers, Microservices, etc.
- Understanding and knowledge of scaling and proven track record of scaling systems
- Experience leading and contributing to software architecture
- Experience with systems that leverage near real time data to drive personalized experiences (recommendations, CRM, etc.)
- Experience with cloud systems which have sophisticated access control/configuration capabilities
- Exceptional critical thinking and analytical skills, with the ability to quickly understand complex systems and data
At Equinox Media, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace makes us a more resilient company. We celebrate unique points of view and experiences across age, gender identity, race, sexual orientation, physical or mental ability and ethnicity in building the future of our digital business. We aren't just a company; we're a community vested in each other's successes. We value humility and a team approach at every level of the company. We want to inspire a workplace where individuals embrace their differences and similarities, where we are building products and experiences that inspire and improve people's lives.