It is an exciting, yet critical time for our teams at Equinox Plus and we're looking for a highly motivated attorney to help shape our music strategy and licensing practices as our teams bring new ways of connecting people to the communities and fitness that they love every day. You are our ideal teammate if you have 7- 10 years of relevant music licensing experience gained at a leading law firm with a focused practice on music, advertising, and technology and in-house within a music distributor, record label, publisher, or other company that focuses on the intersection of music, content, and technology.
In this position, you will lead the efforts in the areas described below and work closely with various departments across the company to manage and execute a broad range of initiatives applicable to our platform. Our team embraces a true entrepreneurial spirit; operating with humility, collaboration, perseverance, and care for one another. We strive to continually deliver the best results and focus on how every action taken helps push our company vision forward.
This position reports directly to the General Counsel and is based in the company’s headquarters in New York City.
This position’s principal responsibilities and duties include:
- Lead our music-related legal and business affairs function to support scaling music needs – both domestically and internationally
- Analyze, review, draft and negotiate all music-related agreements to support ongoing and evolving music needs both within our content creation process and elsewhere within the business (e.g., partnership, marketing, distribution, performance, live events, etc.)
- Develop deep understanding and familiarity with existing music licensing deals, product restrictions, obligations, and relationships to serve as primary day-to-day contact on any music licensing issues and questions that may arise
- Serve as the first point of contact across the business on all commercial needs and product development/innovations as it relates to the exploitation and integration of music • Advise on all music copyright-related intellectual property rights issues and provide pragmatic, innovative, and solution-oriented counsel on all music-related needs across the business, including copyright, technology/product, royalty, finance, regulatory and all related matters • Advise and support music operations team to build out sophisticated and nimble music operations and reporting function. Must have the experience and enthusiasm to help build out a function largely from scratch and work collaboratively with various cross-functional teams to secure resources and find creative solutions to problems
- Own and evolve our music strategy
- Lead or assist the legal team’s efforts in the preparation, implementation, and refinement of appropriate forms, processes, and procedures
- Build close relationships with the business and maintaining a deep connection with the product, the underlying technology, and evolving industry standards
- Manage outside counsel in your areas of coverage
- Conduct periodic employee and partner trainings on relevant matters
- Engage in or lead various other legal projects and duties as needed, including due diligence and related support on strategic transactions
- J.D. from a top law school with exceptional academic credentials
- 7-10 years of relevant experience, including at least 3 years at a leading law firm with a focused practice on music, advertising and technology, and in-house within a record label, music publisher, distributor, or other company that focuses on the intersection of music, content, and technology in roles of increasing responsibility
- Deep working knowledge of the music business and extensive experience with content creation and sync licenses
- Expertise in copyright law and legal issues relating to music licensing and digital distribution • Excellent and efficient drafting skills with superior attention to detail
- Must be admitted, active and in good standing with the New York State bar ===
- Knowledge and enthusiasm of the fitness industry is a strong plus!
- Be energized by the challenges of serving a dynamic, hyper-growth company and able to simultaneously manage workloads, multiple client demands, and shifting priorities within a fast-paced, rapidly evolving environment
- Have a practical, business-oriented approach to problem-solving and be able to provide clear and concise commercial advice and creative solutions where necessary
- Be extremely bright, but also have an EQ that matches your IQ, and the ability to engage effectively with all levels of employees and management and external partners
- Have excellent communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills • Be highly analytical and have exceptional business and legal issue identification and problem-solving skills
- Be a strong and astute negotiator with impeccable judgment
- Be able to operate autonomously while being a team player who brings a positive, “can-do” attitude to the workplace and works collaboratively with all team members
- Be collegial, hard-working, confident, a self-starter, and have a passion for results.
At Equinox Plus, we believe that a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace makes us a more resilient company. We celebrate unique points of view and experiences across age, gender identity, race, sexual orientation, physical or mental ability, and ethnicity in building the future of our digital business. We aren't just a company; we're a community vested in each other's successes. We value humility and a team approach at every level of the company. We want to inspire a workplace where individuals embrace their differences and similarities, where we are building products and experiences that inspire and improve people's lives.