It is an exciting yet critical time for our teams at Equinox Media and we're looking for a Director of Android Engineering who will oversee the architecture and Android team responsible for the development and evolution of the SoulCycle at-home bike application and other Variis connected hardware. This is a unique role that will help our teams invent new ways of connecting people to the communities and fitness that they love through the intersection where mobile development, content, and hardware meet. Our team embraces a true entrepreneurial spirit; operating with humility, perseverance and care for one another. We strive to continuously deliver the best results and focus on how every action taken helps push our mission forward of helping our members pursue Fitness everyday. If you're the type of leader who has experience building mobile apps that integrate with many other systems, and a track record of delivering high-quality software, then we want to hear from you.
Our app is a native Android application written in Kotlin that utilizes MVVM with Clean Architecture. We are looking for a Director who has a strong technical background, the ability to coach, manage, and elevate a team of engineers, has experience building native Android applications that integrate with many other systems, and a track record of delivering high-quality software.
As our Director of Android Engineering, you will split your time between leading multiple teams of engineers and designing the Android architecture that will allow us to grow significantly post our flagship launch of Variis. Day-to-day you will collaborate with engineers, product managers, designers, marketing, operations, member experience, and outside partners. You will play a big role in hiring and growing the team to support the growth of the business and fostering the engineering culture at Equinox Media.
What You Will Do:
- Lead Android development for he SoulCycle at-home bike for Variis and connected hardware
- Coach, manage and elevate multiple teams of engineers
- Impact and influence a safe and inclusive environment for development and growth
- Support team members and mentor other Android engineers through code review, knowledge sharing, and leading by example
- Communicate clearly and effectively with all members of the team
- Actively participate in all major technical discussions related to the platform
- Create a culture of observability within the team, constantly keeping an eye on app performance and error reporting
- Lead Android engineering for the SoulCycle at-home bike for Variis
More About You (if you don't meet 100% of these qualifications but have the relevant experience, that's OK -- we still encourage you to apply):
- 6 to 8 or more years of software development experience
- 2 to 4 years of experience leading a team (remote experience is preferred)
- You have deep knowledge of Android design and development patterns
- You have experience with the Android SDK and Kotlin
- You have experience with MVVM Clean Architecture or equivalent
- You have experience with Kotlin Coroutines
- You have experience working with RESTful APIs in an agile environment
- You have a strong understanding of git and its popular branching models
- You have a strong understanding of testing and CI/CD practices
- You have experience working in an agile environment
- You have a strong sense of ownership and take pride in knowing all applications inside and out
- You are passionate about technology, learning, and finding the best solution in a collaborative environment
- Curious about integrating software and hardware
- Experimented with Bluetooth and Ant+
- Knowledge of OTA software updates
- Involved in the open source community and familiar with custom Android forks
- Excited by GraphQL!
- Experience or experimented with connected hardware devices/IOT
At Equinox Media, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace makes us a more resilient company. We celebrate unique points of view and experiences across age, gender identity, race, sexual orientation, physical or mental ability and ethnicity in building the future of our digital business. We aren't just a company; we're a community vested in each other's successes. We value humility and a team approach at every level of the company. We want to inspire a workplace where individuals embrace their differences and similarities, where we are building products and experiences that inspire and improve people's lives.