About our Company
Equilibrium Energy is a well-funded, Series A clean energy startup backed by some of the most prominent institutional investors in climate. We are building a digital native power company operating at the intersection of grid variability, market volatility, economic optimization, commercial structuring, and risk management, across the end-to-end power value chain. Our mission is to accelerate our collective path to climate, energy, and societal equilibriums. Our goal is to become one of the next-generation, digital-native, end-to-end global clean power companies that reshapes the energy industry.
New colleagues will share our vision that a next-generation energy company must be built from the ground up on deep industry expertise combined with an unwavering commitment to modern digital approaches. We design our commercial strategies, operational approaches, and product suites so as to best leverage data-driven insights, automated workflows, ML-infused pipelines, and fully automated decision engines. These capabilities are enabled by our progressively modern software stack and engineering best practices, which in turn provide the scalable platform we need to put a serious dent in carbon emissions. We’re looking for collaborative, talented, passionate and resourceful folks to join our team and help us lay the foundation for our important mission and ambitious plan.
What we are looking for
We are looking for a Manager of Asset Origination, Valuation, and Structuring to join Equilibrium’s Assets group and build out our portfolio of physical clean energy assets. The Manager position is a high visibility role which will involve significant collaboration with our senior management in commercial, risk, finance, science, and product. You will play a critical role in identifying, sourcing, pricing, and negotiating offtake for energy storage and/or other clean energy projects across the United States. We are looking for a highly motivated and experienced professional to join our team and drive new growth opportunities for Equilibrium.
The Manager role requires a strong knowledge of power markets, energy storage assets, and offtake agreements, with specific knowledge of US ISO market rules preferred. The Manager should be a self-starter who enjoys detailed analysis of project feasibility and pricing, but who can also identify new revenue opportunities for Equilibrium, and communicate insights to both internal and external stakeholders. The successful candidate will bring technical skill and knowledge, be adept at building collaborative working relationships with professionals across the energy industry and will add new clean energy projects to Equilibrium’s growing portfolio as it scales.
What you will do
Identify and evaluate potential renewable energy project opportunities in the United States, with a primary focus on battery energy storage in the near-term
- Run and improve upon Equilibrium’s energy storage optimization, and project pricing models, to generate forward looking valuation estimates for projects under consideration
- Negotiate and structure Tolling Agreements or other off-take arrangements for energy storage and renewable energy projects
- Build and maintain relationships with key stakeholders in the renewable energy sector, including asset owners, utilities, financial institutions, and energy service providers
Work as a key cross- functional analyst to translate industry insights into strategy for the company.
- Work closely with the product, trading, science, and engineering teams to continuously improve upon Equilibrium’s valuation tools
- Develop new revenue opportunities for Equilibrium’s software platform by engaging with asset owners, investment partners, and energy customers
- Monitor and stay up-to-date with developments in the US wholesale electricity markets to identify market trends and opportunities
Serve as an important internal stakeholder to drive the short and long-term Commercial strategy
- Work closely with legal counsel and other internal and external stakeholders to ensure contract language accurately reflects commercial intent
- Prepare and present reports and recommendations to senior management regarding project feasibility and potential risks
- Collaborate with other Company leaders to shape Equilibrium’s strategy, and achieve the company’s Commercial and operational goals
The minimum qualifications you’ll need
- BA/BS degree
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in the renewable energy industry with a focus on project origination, valuation, or structuring
- In-depth knowledge of the US wholesale electricity markets and a proven track record of success with energy storage and/or renewable energy projects
- Familiarity with offtake structures for clean energy assets in competitive wholesale power markets
- Strong analytical and financial modeling skills
- Ability to work independently, lead cross-functional teams, and adapt to changing market conditions
Nice to have additional skills
- BA/BS degree or advanced degree in a relevant field e.g. Finance, Business, Economics, Engineering, Science, Computer Science, or equivalent
- Experience with Energy Storage Tolling Agreements, Power Purchase Agreements, or other offtake arrangements
- Experience with Energy Storage Optimization models, and long term asset valuation
- Excellent communication skills, both in writing and in presentation format
- Demonstrated leadership in building strong internal stakeholder relationships that drive to team success in implementing products and strategies
- Interest and experience in building a high-functioning, trust-centric team from the ground up
- A passion for renewable energy and a commitment to sustainability
Not sure this is the right role for you?
We are a high growth company with accelerating hiring needs so there’s a great chance we’ll be able to create a custom role for you, now or in the future. All roles, titles and compensation packages are tailored to the applicant, so apply anyways and tell us in your cover letter about your dream role.
What we offer
Equilibrium is composed of deeply knowledgeable industry experts across all our functions, with decades of experience in energy-specific commercial structuring, power systems engineering, machine learning, computational research, operations research, distributed and compute-intensive infrastructure, and modern software & ML engineering. Our experience in the space means we’ve previously built versions of nearly every technical component of our platform. We are now designing them better, and combining them in a holistic and novel way, to achieve global scale and climate impact. We pride ourselves on our deeply empathetic & collaborative culture, honest and direct but respectful communication, and our balanced, flexible, and remote-first work environment.
Employee benefits include:
- Competitive base salary and a comprehensive medical, dental, vision, and 401k package
- Opportunity to own a significant piece of the company via a meaningful equity grant
- Unlimited vacation and flexible work schedule
- Ability to work remotely from anywhere in the United States & Europe, or join one of our regional hubs in Boston, SF Bay Area, or London
- Accelerated professional growth and development opportunities through direct collaboration and mentorship from leading industry expert colleagues across energy and tech
Equilibrium Energy is a diverse and inclusive, equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status.