About our Company
Equilibrium Energy is a well-funded, Series A clean energy startup backed by some of the most prominent institutional investors in climate. We are building a digital native power company operating at the intersection of grid variability, market volatility, economic optimization, commercial structuring, and risk management, across the end-to-end power value chain. Our mission is to accelerate our collective path to climate, energy, and societal equilibriums. Our goal is to become one of the next-generation, digital-native, end-to-end global clean power companies that reshapes the energy industry.
New colleagues will share our vision that a next-generation energy company must be built from the ground up on deep industry expertise combined with an unwavering commitment to modern digital approaches. We design our commercial strategies, operational approaches, and product suites so as to best leverage data-driven insights, automated workflows, ML-infused pipelines, and fully automated decision engines. These capabilities are enabled by our progressively modern software stack and engineering best practices, which in turn provide the scalable platform we need to put a serious dent in carbon emissions. We’re looking for collaborative, talented, passionate and resourceful folks to join our team and help us lay the foundation for our important mission and ambitious plan.
What we are looking for
Equilibrium was founded with a vision for building a company where innovation, collaboration, machine learning, and data science power all aspects of our algorithmic decision-making. We are looking for staff / sr staff quantitative analysts with a heavy focus on trading strategy research and development in the energy space to accelerate the maturation of our quantitative trading business, while helping to shape the science-driven products, tools, & processes that will drive the future success of our company.
As a key member of our sciences group, you will play an active role in a) cultivating our culture of experimentation, signal discovery, and incremental delivery, b) facilitating research into profitable strategy development and energy market dynamics, c) helping to identify, recruit, train, and mentor members of our growing team of exceptional trading analysts, and d) partnering with our engineers, product managers, scientist, and commercial team to influence the near to medium term product roadmap.
What you will do
Use research insights to shape product direction: Influence product and engineering roadmaps through presentation of research insights, experimental results, and trading strategy backtest metrics, in order to evolve organizational direction. Initiate and lead cross-functional engagements to surface, prioritize, formulate, and structure complex and ambiguous challenges where advanced novel quantitative analytics or machine learning techniques can drive outsized company trading impact.
Trading performance analytics: Investigate driving factors in trading over/under performance, identifying learnings, and drive a fly-wheel of continuous strategy improvement and team education.
Research, develop, backtest, and deploy novel quantitative trading signals and strategies in the energy domain: Identify and extract sources of trading alpha by researching multiple energy datasets, surveying industry techniques & domain intuition, and executing hands-on experimental models & backtests. Drive the design, specification, development, and production deployment of our suite of novel quantitative trading solutions. Lead short to medium term research projects that advance the state-of-the-art in quantitative research techniques, as applied to energy asset management and financial trading.
The minimum qualifications you’ll need
- Passion for clean energy and fighting climate change
- An advanced degree in computer science, data science, machine learning, artificial intelligence, operations research, engineering, or related quantitative discipline
- 6+ years experience in quantitative research & analytics, automated systematic financial trading, or similar role, in the US Power Markets
- 4+ years experience with python and the supporting computational science tool suite (e.g. numpy, scipy, pandas, scikit-learn, tensorflow, etc)
- Experience in the electricity and energy domain (e.g. wholesale market prices)
- Experience developing, releasing, and tracking performance of quantitative trading strategies in production
- Experience communicating mathematical concepts, analytical results, and data-driven insights to both technical and non-technical audiences
- A collaboration-first mentality, with a willingness to teach as well as learn from others
Nice to have additional skills
- Experience designing and building novel statistical models on time series data, including characterizing probabilistic outcome uncertainty
- Experience with database technologies and sql
- Experience with probability, hypothesis testing, and uncertainty quantification
- Experience with optimization techniques (e.g. stochastic optimization, robust optimization)
- Experience with data visualization and dashboarding technologies (e.g. plot.ly Dash, Streamlit)
- Experience leading and mentoring a team of analysts
Not sure this is the right role for you?
We are a high growth company with accelerating hiring needs so there’s a great chance we’ll be able to create a custom role for you, now or in the future. All roles, titles and compensation packages are tailored to the applicant, so apply anyways and tell us in your cover letter about your dream role.
What we offer
Equilibrium is composed of deeply knowledgeable industry experts across all our functions, with decades of experience in energy-specific commercial structuring, power systems engineering, machine learning, computational research, operations research, distributed and compute-intensive infrastructure, and modern software & ML engineering. Our experience in the space means we’ve previously built versions of nearly every technical component of our platform. We are now designing them better, and combining them in a holistic and novel way, to achieve global scale and climate impact. We pride ourselves on our deeply empathetic & collaborative culture, honest and direct but respectful communication, and our balanced, flexible, and remote-first work environment.
Employee benefits include:
- Competitive base salary and a comprehensive medical, dental, vision, and 401k package
- Opportunity to own a significant piece of the company via a meaningful equity grant
- Unlimited vacation and flexible work schedule
- Ability to work remotely from anywhere in the United States & Europe, or join one of our regional hubs in Boston, SF Bay Area, or London
- Accelerated professional growth and development opportunities through direct collaboration and mentorship from leading industry expert colleagues across energy and tech
Equilibrium Energy is a diverse and inclusive, equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status.