About Equitable Facilities Fund (EFF)
Equitable Facilities Fund (EFF) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit social impact fund that’s on a nationwide mission to help high-performing public charter schools spend more money on students and less on the costs of borrowing for their facilities. We offer school leaders simple and much-needed access to low-cost, long-term loans, combined with support from an expert team that has walked in their shoes.
To date, EFF has committed over $175 million to schools that are making a big difference for over 20,000 students, providing them with funding and assistance to amplify their impact. Recently, EFF recapitalized on the bond market, allowing us to scale our fund significantly over the coming months and years.
If you’re seeking to have community-level impact on a national scale, apply to join our team!
The General Counsel (GC) will have the exciting opportunity to make an immediate impact at EFF – and on the national public charter school sector as a whole – as a senior member of its dynamic, growing team. The GC will oversee all legal work related to EFF’s lending, bond offerings and other financing, exempt organization status, governance, intellectual property, employment, contracting, licensing and other corporate compliance issues. Our ideal candidate will energetically and enthusiastically approach the sometimes-ambiguous work of a startup, will contribute to building a collaborative, team-oriented culture of excellence, and will innovate alongside our entrepreneurial team.
The General Counsel will be responsible for:
Supporting EFF’s governance activities by:
- Reviewing and approving board of directors’ actions
- Attending board of directors’ meetings
- Ensuring sound corporate record keeping and board governance for both boards of EFF and EFF’s affiliated financing LLC
- Ensuring compliance with organizational documents, including internal policies and procedures
Supporting EFF’s lending activities by:
- Assisting with and issue-spotting related to loan transaction structures
- Reviewing construction loan draws and construction management
- Managing and coordinating outside counsel in the preparation of all legal documents related to EFF’s lending
- Leading all loan closings in collaboration with the Chief Credit Officer, including attendance at borrower document signing meetings at various locations around the United States as necessary
- Ensuring compliance with all applicable state licensing and business registration requirements
- Ensuring legal compliance with respect to loan portfolio administration activities, including loan work-outs, defaults and exercise of remedies
Supporting EFF’s financing and tax-exempt bond offering activities through related LLC by:
- Managing and coordinating outside counsel in the preparation of all legal documents related to EFF’s financing transactions and tax-exempt bond offerings
- Ensuring compliance with applicable federal securities laws, including ensuring satisfaction of all continuing disclosure obligations related to publicly offered bonds
- Ensuring maintenance of EFF’s exempt organization status, including state and federal filings and regulatory communications
- Ensuring maintenance of bankruptcy-remote status of EFF’s related financing LLC, including monitoring of inter-company relationships and compliance with commercial and bankruptcy law
Leading general counsel and compliance work by:
- Managing all outside counsel effectively and efficiently
- Assisting Chief of Staff with preparation of board materials
- Providing legal advice and/or coordinating outside counsel as needed to address any legal questions that may arise in the normal course of EFF’s day-to-day operations
- Troubleshooting legal issues, such as but not limited to contracting, employment, intellectual property, cybersecurity, privacy, corporate, real estate, commercial law, bankruptcy and/or governance legal issues, as they arise
- Ensuring corporate compliance under all applicable federal and state laws
- Working closely with EFF leadership to ensure highly-effective and high-functioning organizational strategy, growth and operations
Above all, our General Counsel should be a driven, savvy, high-achieving professional with expertise in the complicated mechanics of public finance and tax-exempt bond offerings. Experience with non-profit lending and/or charter school facilities is strongly preferred. Other qualifications and qualities include:
- 10-15+ years of legal experience
- 7+ years of public finance legal experience
- Legal expertise in real estate, construction, entitlements, liens, etc., strongly preferred
- Experience working with 501(c)(3) non-profits (as clients or as an employee) strongly preferred
- Warm and approachable while being highly engaged
- Significant experience building strong relationships with and effectively managing outside counsel
- Excellence with project management of complex deals and documents
- Ability to produce high-quality work product under tight deadlines
- Outstanding organizational and time management skills
- Track record of meeting and exceeding aggressive goals
- Driven to develop, motivate, and inspire all members of the team
- Extraordinary communication skills
- Ability to collaborate across functional areas
- Thrives when working in a fast-paced, evolving environment on complex, high-impact initiatives
- Thrives in start-up setting and enjoys innovating with a team of educational entrepreneurs
- Problem solving and solution-oriented mindset
- Highly detail- and team-oriented
- High degree of integrity and authenticity
- Travel will be required 20-25% of the time
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation is competitive, commensurate with experience. We are proud to offer extraordinary benefits, including unlimited PTO, as well as medical coverage and a 401(k) match.
The home office is in New York City, and the candidate is expected to be in the home office at least three days per week.
The General Counsel will report to the Chief Executive Officer and collaborate frequently with EFF’s Executive Team and team members across functional verticals.