About Equitable Facilities Fund (EFF)
Equitable Facilities Fund (EFF) is a nonprofit social impact fund that’s on a nationwide mission to help high-performing charter schools spend more money on students and less on the costs of borrowing for their facilities. We offer school leaders simple and much-needed access to low-cost, long-term loans, combined with support from an expert team that has walked in their shoes.
To date, EFF has committed over $200 million to schools serving more than 25,000 students, providing them with funding to amplify their impact. Recently, EFF recapitalized on the bond market, allowing us to scale our fund significantly over the coming months and years.
If you’re seeking to have community-level impact on a national scale, apply to join our team!
The Principal, Business Development will play a critical role in the sourcing and structuring of EFF’s initial $600 million fund. Reporting to the Chief Credit Officer, the Principal will actively grow the number of schools in EFF’s loan portfolio by leveraging their existing networks and continuously prospecting for new schools to engage. The ideal candidate will possess excellent outreach, relationship management and financial skills, as well as deep knowledge of the charter school sector.
The Principal, Business Development will be responsible for:
- Loan Sourcing: Actively build pipelines of prospective school loans that meet EFF’s rigorous financial, academic, and social impact criteria. The Principal, Business Development will be responsible for generating leads and maintaining relationships to support over $200 million in lending annually.
- Deal Structuring: Serve as EFF’s leading expert on financial structuring and loan products. Use deep investment and sector experience to deliver value to schools and, when needed, creatively solve challenges that arise throughout the deal process.
- Outreach and Marketing: Conduct outreach to school leaders, financial advisors, and other intermediaries by attending conferences, visiting schools, and conducting direct outreach. Serve as a highly respected and visible external presence for EFF and clearly convey the value of our product to various stakeholders.
- Pipeline Tracking & Monitoring: Track leads and potential deals through various stages of EFF’s lending pipeline. Maintain primary responsibility for keeping EFF’s Lending and Leadership Teams up-to-date on pipeline activity.
- Relationship Management: Serve as a primary point of contact for schools and financial advisors throughout the lending process. Keep stakeholders abreast of key developments and respond quickly and directly to any questions or concerns.
- Investment Due Diligence: Support underwriting processes and help prepare loans for Credit Committee approval.
- Systems and Product Leadership: Play a leading role in the development of systems and processes that will strengthen loan pipeline activity. Collaborate with EFF leadership to enhance product offerings.
- 10-15+ years of overall professional experience.
- 5+ years of experience in investment banking, venture capital, private equity or charter school finance and management
- “Must Love Schools” -- the ideal candidate will be passionate about education reform and have deep experience in the charter school sector
- Expertise in charter school facilities financing strongly preferred
- In-depth experience with structuring financial products
- Experience with business development and/or customer lead generation
- Track record of meeting and exceeding aggressive goals
- Outstanding relationship management skills
- Extraordinary communication skills and an ability to clearly explain and answer questions about product-related details
- Strong problem-solving skills and an ability to think “outside the box”
- Customer service orientation and ability to collaborate across functional areas
- Unyielding commitment to EFF’s mission, team, and school partners
- High degree of integrity and authenticity and a good sense of humor
- Willingness to travel frequently (approximately 50% of time)
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience. We are proud to offer excellent benefits.
EFF’s office is based in New York City. This role will be expected to travel approximately 50% of the time.
The Principal, Business Development will report to the Chief Credit Officer.