WHAT MAKES US EPIC?
At the core of Epic’s success are talented, passionate people. Epic prides itself on creating a collaborative, welcoming, and creative environment. Whether it’s building award-winning games or crafting engine technology that enables others to make visually stunning interactive experiences, we’re always innovating.
Being Epic means being a part of a team that continually strives to do right by our community and users. We’re constantly innovating to raise the bar of engine and game development.
What We Do
Unreal-powered projects have been on the bleeding edge of real-time entertainment for over 20 years. Our team of engineering experts are always innovating to improve the tools and technology that empower content developers worldwide.
What You'll Do
We are looking for a Lead Networking Programmer to lead a team in building the systems that Unreal Engine relies on for multiplayer games. You will guide development as we scale up to support larger, richer environments with more players. Candidates should have experience leading a team of engineers and setting them up for success. A thorough knowledge of modern game engine networking technology is essential, as well as a good sense of trade-offs between performance, memory usage, and ease-of-implementation. Your team’s goal is to empower Unreal Engine users, including Fortnite, to make world-class multiplayer experiences using the systems that you create, through close iteration with both our internal game teams and external engine customers.
In This Role You Will
- Lead a team of world-class engineers and coordinate development of networking technology for Unreal Engine as it scales up to larger worlds and higher player counts
- Architect and guide system development to help Unreal Engine grow to fit the needs of current and future games and applications
- Mentor and foster the professional development of your team
- Scope and prioritize work in close collaboration with the team, making trade-offs when they’re appropriate
- Guide development of Unreal Engine’s networking systems to be optimized for latency, bandwidth, CPU usage, and memory across a wide range of platforms, from high-end cloud servers to game consoles to mobile devices
- Work closely with other teams, disciplines, their leads, and production to align feature work to help everyone succeed
- Be a go-to expert resource for supporting networking in internal projects such as Fortnite
- Support external Unreal Engine customers by answering their requests and questions about networking and replication
What We're Looking For
- Excellent leadership skills, including mentoring your team, planning technical roadmaps, making trade-offs, and prioritization.
- Well-versed in software engineering principles, especially API design
- Excellent C++ skills, with a familiarity of scripting systems like Blueprint, Lua, Python, etc.
- Experience shipping networked multiplayer games
- Experience in a cross-disciplinary development environment, with excellent cross-discipline communication skills. You should be able to communicate and explain trade-offs with non-engineers!
- Familiarity with an existing game engine with an understanding of game networking concepts
- Experience developing in a large codebase at a fast pace, making trade-offs between usability, performance, and memory
- Demonstrated ability to communicate fluently in English (written and verbal)
- You’re user-focused, passionate, scrappy, solutions-focused, and innovative. These traits equal success at Epic and influence everything we do
Epic Job + Epic Benefits = Epic Life
Our intent is to cover all things that are medically necessary and improve the quality of life. We pay for 100% of the premiums for both you and your dependents. We offer coverage for Medical, Dental, Vision HRA, Long Term Disability, AD&D and Life Insurance, 401k, and profit-sharing.
All Epic employees can enjoy drinks, snacks, and lunches every day, free of charge in studios - and we offer plenty of annual celebrations for employees and family members to show the love for our people. Additionally, each year, we celebrate the Epic family with company-wide paid breaks, generous paid time off, and recognize individuals for 7 years of employment with a paid sabbatical - we think our people are pretty awesome!
Epic Games spans across 12 countries with 32 studios and 3,000+ employees globally. For over 25 years, we’ve been making award-winning games and engine technology that empowers others to make visually stunning games and 3D content that bring environments to life like never before. Epic’s award-winning Unreal Engine technology not only provides game developers the ability to build high-fidelity, interactive experiences for PC, console, mobile, and VR, it is also a tool being embraced by content creators across a variety of industries such as media and entertainment, automotive, and architectural design. As we continue to build our Engine technology and develop remarkable games, we strive to build teams of world-class talent.
Like what you hear? Come be a part of something Epic!
Epic Games deeply values diverse teams and an inclusive work culture, and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. Learn more about our Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Policy here.