The Enviva team is driven by our shared vision for a renewable energy future. We are a fast-growing, purpose-driven, global energy company specializing in delivering sustainable wood bioenergy solutions. We are the world’s largest producer of sustainable wood pellets, which provide a low-carbon alternative to fossil fuels.
Enviva is seeking an Area Manager of Maintenance for our Franklin, VA facility. This position reports to the Plant Manager.
As an Area Manager of Maintenance, your mission is to manage the daily work schedule and execution of plant maintenance to ensure the plant can safely produce pellets which meet our production goals and quality specifications.
- Monitor, coach, and hold the mechanics and electricians (~13-15 hourly craftsmen) accountable in performing their jobs safety and in accordance with defined maintenance procedures and job plans to achieve safety, quality, and production goals
- Direct your team and contractors to effectively deal with unexpected breakdowns in the production process to achieve production goals; doing everything yourself is not an option
- Demonstrate safety and maintenance procedures and equipment/tool operation to new employees and ensure team completes required monthly trainings and certifications
- Complete employee performance reviews
- Reviewing work backlog & weekly work schedule and working with other Area Managers to ensure the right work is getting done effectively and efficiently.
- Communicate detailed work schedules for following day, as well as results from previous day to other management groups. Understand gaps and opportunities that occurred and develop plans to address.
- Lead a maintenance-turnover meeting, communicating to oncoming shift any safety incidents / issues, schedule updates, production performance, and any special instructions.
- Communicate daily results, and top action items for the day to plant management during daily morning management meetings.
- Review and ensure compliance with safe work practices, operational excellence management standards, standard operating procedures, standard Preventative Maintenance (PM) procedures, job plans, and standard repair procedures.
- Work with Shift Leaders on any safety/environmental incidents that may have occurred, that involve the maintenance organization.
- Review and approve time/attendance using UltiPro HR Information Management System
- Own the operation, maintenance, and performance of common plant equipment such as air compressors, boilers, air conditioners, offices, etc.
- Enter work requests for emergency breakdowns on common plant equipment and observed issues in the electronic asset management system
Those who succeed in the Area Manager of Maintenance role demonstrate the following behaviors:
People leader – Inspires and motivates through teaching people how to execute their jobs at the highest level. Cares about people and helps those people care about one another and the team’s goals. Not afraid and willing to have difficult conversations with people on your team to address performance or behavior issues, knowing you must to be successful in this job.
Toughness of character – Demonstrated tenacity and willingness to go the distance to get something done. Demonstrated ability to operate effectively in high-stress environment for extended periods of time. Stays calm and collected during emergency situations. Willing and able to make tough decisions in the moment, evaluating information at hand.
Hustle – Looks at the task at hand, as well as what may lie ahead to anticipate and prepare for issues. You have a plan and a backup plan if that plan doesn’t work or achieve the result you desire. Keeps pushing team to do more than the “bare minimum” to create cushion to deal with the unexpected.
Data-driven – Demonstrated ability to observe events or data, identify patterns, and surface underlying causes which drive safety, quality, or production issues. Uses quality data and machine data to diagnose and resolve problems in the production process.
Extreme ownership – Understands there is a fine line between reasons and excuses. Assumes total ownership and accountability for situation and outcomes, regardless of circumstances. Is not a victim – does not blame others, environment, or factors outside of his/her control.
Growth mindset – Believes talents can be developed through hard work, good strategies, and input from others. Demonstrated track record of seeking to learn and improve self. Seeking to understand “the why” for tasks and procedures.
Attention to Detail – Able to follow processes and procedures daily, down to the small details, as well as hold others accountable for doing the same
Some specific requirements of the Area Manager of Maintenance role include:
- Willing and able to use a computer – including Microsoft Office (Excel, Work, PowerPoint, Outlook Email, Project, PowerBI), OESuites, Rockwell VantagePoint (dashboards and machine trends), D365 EAM Software.
- Willing and able to work in both indoor and outdoor environments and occasionally in temperatures above 100 degrees and below 32 degrees
- Willing and able to perform tasks such as lifting, walking, climbing ladders and steps, stooping, standing, pushing and/or pulling for up to twelve (12) hours a day
- Willing and able to work around moving equipment and machinery, and, at times, confined spaces
- Willing and able to pull and lift up to 50 pounds
- Have a valid driver’s license
- Willing and able to perform essential job functions consistent with the ADA, FMLA and other federal, state and local standards, including meeting qualitative and/or quantitative productivity standards.
Enviva is dedicated to the principles of equal employment opportunity (EEO) in any term, condition or privilege of employment. Enviva does not discriminate against applicants or employees on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, ancestry, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, uniform service member, genetic information or any other status protected by law. Enviva complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which we operate.