The Enviva team is driven by our shared vision for a renewable energy future. We are a fast-growing, purpose-driven, global energy company specializing in delivering sustainable wood bioenergy solutions. We are the world’s largest producer of sustainable wood pellets, which provide a low-carbon alternative to fossil fuels.
Design Engineering is a centralized team of discipline focused (mechanical/piping, electrical, civil/structural) design engineering resources within the Centers of Excellence department. The purpose of this team is to provide a standardized and consistent design approach across all projects, leverage specialized knowledge both internal and external to the team, and setup projects for success by delivering ideal designs. This role reports to the Design Engineering Manager and provides support to all Enviva projects (small capital, greenfield, brownfield expansion). Design focuses on industrial continuous processing equipment that takes various wood fiber sources and turns them into pellets.
- Develop, define, and update discipline specific design engineering specifications and requirements for new and existing sites across all of Enviva per OEMS 4.1.
- Serve as Enviva internal subject matter expert for discipline answering all inquiries related to design practices and engineering specifications throughout the design phase and from the field during construction.
- Provide design input for all projects related to discipline and review all vendor drawings & deliverables ensuring adherence to Enviva engineering specifications, good engineering practices, and relevant industry code.
- Gather input from knowledgeable stakeholders on design decisions, moderate review, and deliver decision with clear documentation of rationale.
- Manage lessons learned database for discipline across all operating sites and recently executed projects to provide feedback loop to engineering specifications and best practices.
- Drive consistency across project designs by implementing best practices with the goal of achieving company wide standardization.
- Partner with procurement to provide direction and conduct reviews on scope of work packages.
- Implement sound engineering solutions for mitigating existing issues, drive continuous improvement, and introduce innovations where appropriate.
- Demonstrate formality and lead by example in ensuring that all changes are entered, thoroughly vetted, and tracked through an approved Change Management process.
- Travel to sites to support project construction and emphasize proper design & installation.
- Minimum Years of Experience
- 5-10 years of overall engineering experience required
- 3 years of civil/structural design engineering experience required
- 2 years of project/plant engineering experience required
- Education Requirements
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical or Civil Engineering
- Specialized Knowledge or Industry Experience
- Preferred experience and exposure to process equipment used in pelleting process or wood products
- Formal engineering design review process
- Change Management
- Risk Assessment and Evaluation
- Design Failure Mode & Effects Analysis
- Must be highly literate of technical documentation: Process Flow Diagrams, General Arrangements, Detailed Assembly Drawings, Structural & Support Drawings, Utility Plans, 3D Models, Site Plot Plan & Topographical, Codes / Specifications, Basis of Design
- Ability to navigate in and review designs via 3D models (Navisworks, AutoCAD)
- Knowledge of Relevant Industry Good Engineering Practices and Applicable Codes
- Experience Designing Foundations and Structural Supports for Process Equipment, Ducting, and Piping – specifically including varying soils and site conditions and handling dynamic forces and vibration
- Experience Designing Civil for Manufacturing Sites including accommodating underground utilities, grading & paving plans, water runoff handling
- General Civil & Structural Requirements for Buildings
- Communication Skills
- Excellent organizational, verbal, and written communication skills to effectively communicate to diverse stakeholders summarizing technical information in a concise and clear manner
- Computer Literacy
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, OneNote, OneDrive, Teams, Visio, and Project
- Bluebeam Revu
- Navisworks, AutoCAD
- Professional Certification
- Professional Engineer License Preferred
- Other characteristics
- Must be data-driven and possess a high level of attention to detail
- Exhibits high level of professionalism and sets an example for others to follow
- Must be a self-starter with ability to prioritize complex and dynamic workload
- Demonstrated time management skills for ensuring proper support on multiple projects simultaneously while upkeeping with side duties
- Demonstrated leadership, interpersonal, technical aptitude, and problem-solving skills.
- Working for and / or with Engineering, Procurement, Construction firms on various types and sizes of projects through all defined phases from start to finish
- Specialized knowledge and understanding of process specific equipment and requirements of our process or the wood products industry in general
- Extended hours are required at times to meet critical deadlines and commitments for engineering design project deliverables
- Ascending or descending ladders and stairs in field is occasionally required
- Working in extreme temperatures (hot or cold), outdoor elements (precipitation and wind) and noisy environments for extended periods of time is occasionally required
- Overnight travel to various construction sites in differing regions (Mid-Atlantic, Wilmington, Pascagoula, Savannah) required 10-20% of the time
Enviva is dedicated to the principles of equal employment opportunity (EEO) in any term, condition or privilege of employment. Enviva does not discriminate against applicants or employees on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, ancestry, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, uniform service member, genetic information or any other status protected by law. Enviva complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which we operate.