The Enviva team is driven by our shared vision for a renewable energy future. We are a fast-growing, purpose-driven, global energy company specializing in delivering sustainable wood bioenergy solutions. We are the world’s largest producer of sustainable wood pellets, which provide a low-carbon alternative to fossil fuels.
Enviva is seeking a Crane Operator who will be responsible for unloading logs from log delivery trucks, storing longs in a stack under the portal cane and feeding logs to the log processing line.
- Load and unload bundles from trucks using portal crane.
- Inspect and adjust crane mechanisms and lifting accessories in order to prevent malfunctions and damage.
- Move levers (with both hands), depress foot petals (with both feet) and turn dials to operate crane, or other moving equipment for lifting, moving and placing loads.
- Monitor logs being fed into the de-barker drum and notify chipper operator of any problems (i.e. hung up logs, jams, etc.).
- Lubricate crane parts in adherence with manufacturer and company recommendations.
- Maintain contact with Area Mill Manager and coworkers.
- General housekeeping during down time to include shoveling, sweeping and hosing to clean area.
- Adhere to all plant environmental, health and safety guidelines, policies and practices
- Skills and Abilities
- Ability to detect visually and to possibly remove or eject in-feed logs for embedded rocks or other saw damaging debris.
- Log grading ability.
- Stay in seated position at approximate 30-degree angle for long periods of time without a break (up to four hours at a time).
- Ability to be bounced around by the vibration of crane.
- Skilled in crane operations or comparable heavy machinery operations experience.
- Must be able to climb ladders and work from high elevations.
- Complete understanding of log loading/handling equipment to include but not limited to the Wagner (one-bite) log loader, Volvo wheel loader, crane, chipper and on-site forklifts.
- Working knowledge of the log yards layout and proper log sorting ability.
- Working knowledge of the green chain, lumber package storage.
- At least 2 years of experience in a manufacturing environment.
- At least 1 year months experience in operating earth-moving or other heavy equipment.
- 12 months experience in operating material moving, loading or unloading equipment.
- Strong verbal communication skills.
- At least 1 year of experience inspection material moving equipment.
- At least 1 year of experience in crane operation in construction, manufacturing or repair setting.
- At least 1 year of experience performing safety inspections in manufacturing or industrial setting.
- OSHA 10 General Industry Certification and ability to pass Enviva-generated hazard recognition test.
- Must be able to work in outdoor environments and occasionally in temperatures above 100 degrees and below 32 degrees
- Willing and able to work in a hot, humid, cold and noisy industrial environment
- Willing and able to maintain strict adherence to safety rules and regulations, to include wearing safety equipment.
- Willing and able to perform tasks such as lifting, walking, climbing, stooping, standing, pushing and/or pulling for up to twelve (12) hours a day
- Willing and able to work around moving equipment and machinery
- Willing and able to pull and lift, up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with the ADA and other federal, state and local standards, including meeting qualitative and/or quantitative productivity standards.
Enviva is dedicated to the principles of equal employment opportunity (EEO) in any term, condition or privilege of employment. Enviva does not discriminate against applicants or employees on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, ancestry, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, uniform service member, genetic information or any other status protected by law. Enviva complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which we operate.