The Enviva team is driven by our shared vision for a renewable energy future. We are a fast-growing, purpose-driven, global energy company specializing in delivering sustainable wood bioenergy solutions. We are the world’s largest producer of sustainable wood pellets, which provide a low-carbon alternative to fossil fuels.
The Tooling Center Manager will lead and manage all aspects of the tooling service center. This position will be responsible for all tooling refurbishments, rebuilds of mills, and tooling inventory management. This leader will have direct authority over technical tooling matters related to pellet mill dies, roller shells, hydraulic nut parts management, engineering design, and tooling programs. This position will support indirectly all plant pellet mill tooling operations and will coordinate directly with the Plant Leadership Teams.
- Directly manage 8 associates across two shifts
- Responsible for the timely execution and delivery of refurbished tooling
- Responsible for the upkeep of two CNC machines and associated equipment
- Determine proper tools and consumables needed for each remanufacturing service and ensure availability and staging as per the schedule
- Determine tooling refurbishment daily schedule and schedule accordingly
- Schedule any mill service activity needed on night shift
- Responsible for tooling tracking and inventory management
- Manage engineering changes and ensure adherence to management of change including proper communication to the plants
- Develop experiments and trials and coordinate with plants to develop process that lead to tooling life extension, reduction in tooling cost per short ton, elimination of redundancies and waste related to exchange of tooling (new tooling design and authoring and changing pellet mill area department process and guidelines for tooling procedures)
- Inform and influence future tooling design and modifications to existing tooling in collaboration with third-party partners and/or suppliers.
- Advise key business leaders (executives and plant management) on improving operations (e.g. higher volume, lower cost)
- Develop and implement processes to properly setup service center machines and machining operations
- Develop standard work and training program for lathe and other equipment setup activities for machine operators
- Ability to partner with cross-functional teams to achieve goals
- Create/update/maintain standard work documents (SOP’s) to develop and train maintenance, manufacturing operators, and Team Leaders.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering preferably with Masters or PhD
- Minimum 6 years of manufacturing experience, preferably in tooling/stamping/pressing/progressive die processes
- Demonstrated leadership ability with prior management experience
- Intermediate experience in metallurgy, hardening, and coatings
- Competent in ready drawings and 2D/3D engineering data
- Working knowledge of Process / Value Stream Mapping, FMEA, and Lean Manufacturing
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office and excellent computer skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook), and ability to learn other applications related to the position
- Must be detail-oriented, data-driven and possess a high attention to detail
- Demonstrate ability to make analysis-based recommendation to solve complex problems
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong desire to work on a team while being able to prioritize individual department workload
Preferred Qualifications - What Will Set You Apart
- Tooling development, design, and management experience
- Industrial/manufacturing experience/wood products background
- Background and experience in thermodynamics
- Demonstrated accountability for setting and managing annual operating plan/budget
- Experience working in a fast-paced, growing organization
- Six Sigma Certification
Enviva is dedicated to the principles of equal employment opportunity (EEO) in any term, condition or privilege of employment. Enviva does not discriminate against applicants or employees on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, ancestry, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, uniform service member, genetic information or any other status protected by law. Enviva complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which we operate.