The Enviva team is driven by our shared vision for a renewable energy future. We are a fast-growing, purpose-driven, global energy company specializing in delivering sustainable wood bioenergy solutions. We are the world’s largest producer of sustainable wood pellets, which provide a low-carbon alternative to fossil fuels.
Enviva’s Legal team is seeking a commercially oriented Senior Counsel with an entrepreneurial spirit to provide legal support company-wide, with a focus on take-or-pay sales contracts and project development. The Senior Counsel will report to Enviva’s Vice President, Associate General Counsel, and Secretary and be located in the company’s headquarters in Bethesda, Maryland. The ideal candidate thrives in a fast-paced environment and aligns with the Legal team’s core guiding principles: Trusted advisors providing commercially oriented solutions through exceptional service.
- Draft, negotiate, and provide legal advice and support with respect to project contracts, including long-term, take-or-pay sales contracts, short-term procurement and sales optimization contracts, greenfield development contracts including site options, leases, and development incentive agreements, shipping contracts, rail and truck transportation contracts, office leases, and fiber procurement contracts
- Counsel commercial team members and manage outside counsel for each of the foregoing
- Support sales and development teams in negotiations with customers, investors, and development partners globally
- Provide legal advice and support, in alignment with the team’s guiding principles and together with existing team members, across the full range of legal issues affecting a global renewable energy company, including sales, development, shipping, finance, construction, procurement, litigation, and real estate matters
- Supervise outside counsel retained for litigation and other disputes
- Identify and analyze legal issues and risks, present clear recommendations, and ensure legal compliance across the full spectrum of legal issues facing the company
- Participate in establishing the company’s legal policies, goals, and objectives
- J.D. from an accredited law school; must be licensed to practice law in at least one state
- 5+ years relevant experience with an international law firm representing clients in the traditional or renewable energy space
- Commitment to bring practical and commercially oriented judgment to bear in solving legal problems
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Self-starter with ability to work under pressure, manage multiple projects and competing priorities, meet deadlines, and adapt to change in a growing company
- Demonstrated experience establishing credibility and rapport with executive-level management
- Strong written communication skills and competency in drafting and negotiating a broad range of commercial contracts
- Proficiency in communicating with commercial team members in a clear, yet practical, commonsense manner; i.e., a businessperson’s lawyer rather than a “lawyer’s lawyer”
- Interest and aptitude in becoming a corporate generalist
Enviva is dedicated to the principles of equal employment opportunity (EEO) in any term, condition or privilege of employment. Enviva does not discriminate against applicants or employees on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, ancestry, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, uniform service member, genetic information or any other status protected by law. Enviva complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which we operate.