The Enviva team is driven by our shared vision for a renewable energy future. We are a fast-growing, purpose-driven, global energy company specializing in delivering sustainable wood bioenergy solutions. We are the world’s largest producer of sustainable wood pellets, which provide a low-carbon alternative to fossil fuels.
Enviva’s Outreach Forester serves a key role by effectively engaging with landowners, the conservation community, and other external stakeholders as well as Enviva’s Sustainability and Wood Procurement foresters to help develop and implement new, high-impact programs related to our sourcing. Through managing and improving our collaborations, the Outreach Forester will help Enviva successfully implement our revised responsible sourcing policy, particularly provisions and plans related to FSC certification, stewardship, restoration, and conservation. The Outreach Forester is based at Enviva’s Raleigh office, will travel extensively, and reports to the Director of Sustainability.
- Recruit forest landowners to participate with Enviva and partners in priority conservation, restoration, and stewardship programs and practices. Work with landowners, external partners, and Enviva’s Sustainability and Wood Procurement teams to help develop and implement site-specific, on-the-ground strategies and plans related to:
- Longleaf pine & pine savanna restoration
- Bottomland hardwood conservation and restoration
- Loss of forest cover through conversion to non-forest uses
- Conversion of forest type that reduces habitat quality for at-risk species
- Other restoration and conservation priorities
- Maintain and improve on-the-ground collaborations with the conservation community (state and federal agencies as well as non-profit organizations)
- Among other networking strategies, attend priority conservation meetings to share information about Enviva and our relevant policies and program as well as learn about conservation issues and opportunities, particularly related to our sourcing, and sharing that information with appropriate Enviva staff
- Support and expand Enviva’s forest management certification program
- Work with external partners and Enviva’s Sustainability and Wood Procurement team to support Enviva’s efforts to increase access to wood from certified forests
- Help support Enviva’s FSC FM certification program by coordinating with our IMG management consultant and other Enviva staff, particularly to help get interested landowners on the path toward certification
- Supervise landowner assistance foresters
- When and where applicable, help recruit, train, and supervise consultant landowner assistance foresters to help implement restoration and conservation plans
- Write and manage contracts for landowner assistance foresters
- Support monitoring, reporting, and communications efforts
- Help develop and manage record-keeping systems to monitor and report acreage treated and other indicators of progress
- Help prepare quarterly progress reports and other internal and external reporting products
- Work with communications and other staff on identifying story ideas, assembling relevant information and partners, and occasionally writing blogs and other communications products
- BS in Forest Management or related field.
- Minimum of five (5) years’ experience related to forest management.
- Working knowledge of regional forest types, conservation issues, high-conservation value forests like longleaf, pine savannas, bottomland hardwoods, etc.
- Experience working with landowners, particularly on conservation practices and writing forestry management plans a plus, including:
- Assisting landowners in developing management objectives,
- Performing field evaluations,
- Developing stand descriptions and silvicultural prescriptions
- Experience working with the conservation community (nonprofits and/or governmental agencies), particularly related to longleaf pine/pine savanna or bottomland hardwoods.
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office and ArcGIS or online GIS software.
- Ability to maintain high levels of professionalism and safety while visiting working forestry operations and/or interfacing with suppliers and landowners.
- Ability to work independently or with minimal supervision to meet objectives and deadlines.
- Ability to travel up to 75% of the time.
Preferred Qualifications - What Will Set You Apart
- Forest product industry experience, particularly with sustainability and/or procurement functions.
- Forest certification experience related to Tree Farm, Sustainable Forestry Initiative and/or Forest Stewardship Council certification programs.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and adapt as needed.
- Demonstrated technical writing skills.
Enviva is dedicated to the principles of equal employment opportunity (EEO) in any term, condition or privilege of employment. Enviva does not discriminate against applicants or employees on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, ancestry, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, uniform service member, genetic information or any other status protected by law. Enviva complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which we operate.