The Enviva team is driven by our shared vision for a renewable energy future. We are a fast-growing, purpose-driven, global energy company specializing in delivering sustainable wood bioenergy solutions. We are the world’s largest producer of sustainable wood pellets, which provide a low-carbon alternative to fossil fuels.
The Project Engineering Director will join the Capital and Construction Team as the leader of engineering efforts for all project development and construction for greenfield and brownfield projects. This role will report to the Vice President, Capital Projects and Construction, and will be responsible for planning and overseeing the technical aspects of project development, construction, commissioning and start-up of projects on time, on budget, and per Enviva specifications.
- Leads a team of engineers to support project development for greenfield, expansion, and small cap projects. The scope encompasses:
- Preliminary design deliverables, including but not limited to; engineered drawings, scopes of work for procurement, project estimation, schedule, etc.
- Review of detailed drawings and specifications developed by engineer of record during detailed design
- Field support through construction, start-up, and commissioning as needed
- Plan and execute capital projects ($50-200MM) while managing to the set project budget and schedule
- Communicate and coordinate with internal Enviva stakeholders and subcontractors to ensure a consistent understanding and execution of identified schedule objectives, budget adherence, and work activities
- Work with the project managers to drive cost and schedule performance including and other key performance indicators
- Prepare, issue, deliver project progress reports (daily to monthly); provide detailed project progress reports to Executive Staff
- Develop opportunities that enhance the quality, decrease cost, and/or reduce time to for project lifecycle
- Develop and lead direct reports to ensure consistency across all projects
- Comply with safety, good housekeeping, product quality, and related regulatory requirements
- Serve as a key member of a matrix organization, coordinating closely with various departments and functions across the company
- Other duties as assigned
- BS, Engineering (Mechanical, Chemical, Electrical, etc.)
- Ten (10) years of industrial process/manufacturing experience in a technical role
- Five (5) years in a leadership position, preferably over a technical group
- At least Eight (8) years managing a team of high-performing engineers that exemplify a culture of excellence
- At least 2 (two) years of experience managing other managers/leaders
- Working knowledge of design and equipment standards
- Strong problem-solving ability
- Successfully built a team, defined its mission, and executed on its goals.
- Driver of action
- Comfortable speaking and presenting detailed information in a group setting
- Excellent interpersonal and team leadership skills
- Establish strong development processes and communicate them across multiple teams and orgs
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint with the ability to learn other applications related to the job
- Working knowledge of Oracle Aconex and P6 highly desirable
- Unwavering sense of trust, respect, honesty, and integrity
- Highly detail-oriented and well-organized
- Must be data-driven and possess a high level of attention to detail
Preferred Qualifications - What Will Set You Apart
- Engineering design development experience, pre-FEED/FEED/Detailed Design
- Experience in wood processing
- Lean/Continuous Improvement experience
- Moderate travel with up to 30% but may change dependent upon business needs.
- Must be able to work in outdoor environments and occasionally in temperatures above 100 degrees and below 32 degrees
- Willing and able to work in a hot, humid, cold and noisy industrial environment
- Willing and able to maintain strict adherence to safety rules and regulations, to include wearing safety equipment.
- Willing and able to perform tasks such as lifting, walking, climbing, stooping, standing, pushing and/or pulling for up to twelve (12) hours a day
- Willing and able to work around moving equipment and machinery
- Willing and able to pull and lift, up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with the ADA, FMLA and other federal, state and local standards, including meeting qualitative and/or quantitative productivity standards.
Enviva is dedicated to the principles of equal employment opportunity (EEO) in any term, condition or privilege of employment. Enviva does not discriminate against applicants or employees on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, ancestry, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, uniform service member, genetic information or any other status protected by law. Enviva complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which we operate.