The facility Quality Manager oversees the plant testing laboratory and manage all aspects of the plant quality assurance and quality control system. The Quality Manager will work with the senior plant staff and the corporate office to ensure that the quality of incoming raw materials and finished goods meet Enviva’s internal and customer specifications and lead continuous quality improvement efforts.
The Enviva team is driven by our shared vision for a renewable energy future. We are a fast-growing, purpose-driven, global energy company specializing in delivering sustainable wood bioenergy solutions. We are the world’s largest producer of sustainable wood pellets, which provide a low-carbon alternative to fossil fuels.
- Lab Management:
- Manage the plant laboratory, supervise, train, and certify lab technicians; manage the sampling and lab testing of raw materials, in-process materials, and finished goods; maintain lab equipment, QA/QC documentation, records, and sample archives.
- Quality Assurance:
- Direct plant operators; work with senior plant staff to ensure production quality, process control, and stable plant operation.
- Quality Control:
- Develop and maintain quality control tools and quality assurance instructions to guide plant production and ensure effective process troubleshooting; develop, audit, and maintain lab test procedures; ensure that all test results are timely and accurate.
- Track and report process control and finished goods quality metrics against internal and customer specifications; track plant quality key performance indicators; perform root cause analysis and correction of product quality issues.
- Lead special projects to eliminate waste, improve product quality, and increase plant production efficiency.
- Represent the plant on the corporate-wide Quality Best Practice Team to learn from and share best practices across the company.
- Some production duties and occasional responsibilities as the on-call senior staff member for the plant.
- B.S. in STEM discipline required and minimum of five years of experience on a production line; wood products or similar manufacturing experience preferred.
- Candidates with 7+ years of experience and different education may be considered on a case by case basis.
- Must understand the concepts of quality assurance and quality control and be able to interpret and perform calculations on data; must be competent in statistical calculations and analysis of data; Six-Sigma or similar training (statistical process control, root cause analysis) preferred.
- Expert knowledge of Excel and data analysis tools.
- Experience with databases, statistical process control, and Minitab preferred.
- Experience in pellet production or similar manufacturing experience, familiarity with hammer mills, drum dryers, extrusion, material conveyors, and storage facilities a plus.
- Detail oriented, and meticulous in the execution of lab tests; in the habit of double-checking work.
- Well organized, efficient, and able to multi-task.
- Self-motivated, and able to communicate effectively with plant and corporate management.
- Able to lead and motivate plant operators and lab technicians.
- Able to troubleshoot and improve manufacturing processes.
- Ability to effectively communicate and work well with all levels of plant personnel.
- Must be able to work in outdoor environments and occasionally in temperatures above 100 degrees and below 32 degrees
- Willing and able to work in a hot, humid, cold and noisy industrial environment
- Willing and able to maintain strict adherence to safety rules and regulations, to include wearing safety equipment.
- Willing and able to perform tasks such as lifting, walking, climbing, stooping, standing, pushing and/or pulling for up to twelve (12) hours a day
- Willing and able to work around moving equipment and machinery
- Willing and able to pull and lift, up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with the ADA, FMLA and other federal, state and local standards, including meeting qualitative and/or quantitative productivity standards.
Enviva is dedicated to the principles of equal employment opportunity (EEO) in any term, condition or privilege of employment. Enviva does not discriminate against applicants or employees on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, ancestry, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, uniform service member, genetic information or any other status protected by law. Enviva complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which we operate.